got beat by another mustang

fast02gt

May 19, 2003
sc
last week i raced a friend who recently just got a 96 cobra. It has nothing done to it except flowmasters. I ended up racing him three times all together. first time was a role in first and we were almost dead even. second time was from a dead stop and i didn't do anything but spin so he beat me by about 4 carlenghths. third time was another role from first and he beat me by a carlenghth. what boltons do i need to be able to take his cobra. :nonono: :(

by the way the only mods i have are in my sig but i just put the pullies put on yesterday so i did not have them on at the time.

• Sponsors (?)

fast02gt said:
last week i raced a friend who recently just got a 96 cobra. It has nothing done to it except flowmasters. I ended up racing him three times all together. first time was a role in first and we were almost dead even. second time was from a dead stop and i didn't do anything but spin so he beat me by about 4 carlenghths. third time was another role from first and he beat me by a carlenghth. what boltons do i need to be able to take his cobra. :nonono: :(

by the way the only mods i have are in my sig but i just put the pullies put on yesterday so i did not have them on at the time.

Have you considered the possibility that you can't drive? :shrug: 96 Cobras aren't that quick. I don't know how to drive, see sig for more info :nice:

Well that sounds about right. The cobra will be slightly faster I think, because of slightly more hp. Also 18" wheels add a little weight (when I put my y2k's on my car it felt a little more sluggish). I would suggest 4:10's unless you do a lot of highway driving then maybe 3:90's or 3:73's. Also get a TA or a chip if your H-pipe has no cats and run premium fuel. Good luck.

The guy asked us what mods he needed to beat the cobra...not if you didn't think his screename was okay :rolleyes:

Hey fast02gt, the cobra does have a better edge up top so you didn't do to bad by staying within a car......but what I would do is think about getting longtubes, timing adjuster, and some drag radials so you can outlaunch him and you should be able to hold your lead... :nice:

Just keep practicing launching and shifting and you will have it down....

David

I've had two run ins with 96-98 Cobra's and found out that there is not too much performance difference from a 99+ GT. I raced both of them from about a 10MPH roll and was dead even with them up to about 90. If you could get a good launch with your mods I don't think you should lose. GT's have the advantage on the launch because they have more low end torque. Go practice your launching and race him again :nice:

I raced one a while ago, i have the 3.73's, and at the time my car was all mest up with the idle and stuff. But running them up to over 100 I had him by half a car and pulling. first race was to about 60 and it was a little closer with me winning. Just do some bolt ons and practice, youll get him. Ryan

blk2003GT said:
I've had two run ins with 96-98 Cobra's and found out that there is not too much performance difference from a 99+ GT. I raced both of them from about a 10MPH roll and was dead even with them up to about 90. If you could get a good launch with your mods I don't think you should lose. GT's have the advantage on the launch because they have more low end torque. Go practice your launching and race him again :nice:

I disagree with this statement, and provide this piece of anecdotal data to serve as a blanket assumption covering all races between 99+ GTs and 96-98 Cobras...

Clicky clicky

EDIT- Well, crap. The thread is still alive but the vids are no longer being hosted so they're dead. Oh well. He smoked all three of those cars, with the most satisfying being the last because the guy red-lighted like crazy and still got pulled hard.

On a more serious note, there is at least a 20-30 rwhp difference between the most stock 96-98 Cobra and stock 99+ GT. The low end torque advantage of the GT is only going to matter if both cars are launching from idle, which would be pretty foolish. 20-30 rwhp shouldn't provide too big of an advantage (only 2-3 lengths over a full 1/4 mile) and can be overcome easily with some mods to the GT. Nevertheless, stock for stock the Cobra will come out on top assuming equal driving...

Whats with all the attitudes on this thread? Dang- the guy asked what to do to make his stang a better performer- NOT what some of you goobers though about his driving style or his car.. *shrug*

Anyway bro, i would say your cheapest and easiest mods would be a T/A, some 3.90 gears.. maybe soem better tires if you can afford them.. that should make up the difference right there. Also it would help your speed to be more careless with your transmssion (like some guys on here, hehe) and slam it through the gears wantonly. I don't reccomend this tho. Loosing a few races, but having your transmission last the life-time of your car is a tradeoff I would most definetly make :)

4.10s and traction will make it very close with a good driver. Not flaming you, but practicing will win you races when the car beside you is faster. With equal drivers and both being stock, 1/8 and 1/4, the Cobra will win, it will be close. :D