Got my intake off.. now what?

Lynx331

Jan 5, 2004
Chicago IL
I took off my upper and lower intake yesterday because i have a cobra that im going to install. Is there anything i should do? The ports in the heads are filthy. And the upper valve train is filthy. Im getting the lower intake and valve covers powder coated. I thought about getting the cobra intake powder coated, but not right now atleast because i like how the cobra looks. Im most likely going to get the lower intake and valve covers silver, but i was curious how blue would look. Cuz i have the blue scheme starting under my hood. Should i clean the upper valve train? I need the car completed by saturday morning so i cant do anything to major. ANy suggestions guys? Ill post up some pics in a few minutes Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

is it dirty or just oily? Your head passages will have carbon buildup.. I am in a hurry right now can't really think of a good reason to clean anything since as long as everything is ok they will just get dirty again the first few cycles of the engine. :shrug:

i have heard that if your valvtrain has an oily sludge buildup on it, that it is actuall better not to clean it. you dont want to run the risk of contaminating anything or messing something up in the process of cleanin the valvetrain. if the rockers springs and rods all look good and dont have excessive wear then i've heard its best to leave it the way it is. as for the powder coating, i was lookin into the same thing because im planing an intake swap in the near future as well. i think i blue or red powder coat would look amazing under there. good luck man tell us how it all works out.

here are two pics of the upper engine

Attachments

• IM002818.JPG
    IM002818.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IM002819.JPG
    IM002819.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 96
Heres the stuff that came off. next to my new intake. I really think it would look cool to get the upper intake powder coated. But i dunno, i really like how it looks now. Anyone have a picture of a powder coated one?

Attachments

• IM002820.JPG
    IM002820.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 92
Sorry to say but it looks like that engine was not properly maintained. All that black sludge means Lack of oil changes.

I would pull the heads and clean as much carbon off the chambers heads and valves.
Basically freshin up the top end while you half way there.

um....i dont think it looks all that bad from what i can tell of those pics. I have seen pics of sludge build up much worse than that. Like i was saying earlier you want to be very very careful when cleaning the heads and valvetrain. good luck