Got Ripped Off On Ebay 1993 Mustang

2000PONYGT

Aug 15, 2005
Well Hello guys! Been a long time lurker and now here with my first post. Ill be needing your guys help in fixing this thing hope you don't mind. This was the 2nd car I bought off ebay out of the state. The First was a 2000 GT I bought in 2002 with 9000mi. I flew from MI to NJ to drive it home paid 16K Great deal sweet car many extras very happy. Last week I bought a 1993 GT with 88,000 Please take a look EBAY

Ok so LOOK GREAT SOUNDS GREAT. Here is my first mistake. Being the wheller and Dearler I am I ask the guy his reserve. He says $6500 I say Id give him $7000 to stop the auction. He says OK :) But I would have to send him $500 first. SO I do. Talked to the guy 10 on the phone and he keeps saying I cant believe I just sold my car. Says Im getting the best deal. So I set it up to ship it to MI for FL $541 not bad im back at the $7500 on a Rust free new paint car.

Ok So A week later I get this car that had been NEWLY PAINTED by this guys 6yr old kid I think in his back yard. WHAT A F**KIN MESS. ALL trim is painted Lines are not even straight. You cant even know how pissed I am. I driving the thing home as my pissed off wife (Who keeps saying I told you) :mad: is driving behind me, I call her and say are we doing 50mph oh I75? She says no 70mph. So know I wonder what the hell is wrong with the Speedo. :bang:

I call the guy as nicely as I can say man you need to give me back $1500 because Of this paint. As he says Man what are you talking about its a great paint job. I lose it of course :fuss: Say the speedo is off because he put a $ cylinder Trans in the car. Says it runs stronger?? NEVER HEARD OF THAT?? ANY1? So pretty much that's my story. He said he would take it back if I shipped it and he would keep my $500 deposit. SO I would be out $1600.

I paid $7500 for a $5500 car My BAD!! :owned:

MY Tech question is Should I change this trans on the car? I have never heard of this being done like that.

Shawn

• Sponsors (?)

Did you give this guy a bad feedback, so no body else would buy anything from him anymore. In the pics, the engine looks in good shape, was the paint job the only thing that was f**** up!

First off, this belongs in talk

Second, that is one of the risks you run with Ebay. You got the car, so you have several choices. Sell it as-is, keep it as-is, fix and sell, or fix and keep. It's up to you. The pictures aren't close enough to tell you that it is a 50-footer paint job.

It sucks, but the guy probably thought it was nice car. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder and no-one thinks their own baby is ugly.

It looks to have a decent interior, so why not repaint it.

The speedo might be off due to gears? I believe that will do it. Also, Never, Ever, Ever.........did I say never? buy a car that you cannot physically inspect and drive. Period. Exclamation Point! When will ppl learn :nonono:

He doesn't have to do anything, cavet emptor (sp I know), so if he's willing to take it back do that.

Was his ad misleading? Sounds like it was. But this reiderates what I've been saying for years about buying cars on eBay or anywhere else online. It's foolish, IMO. No one should ever buy a car sight unseen. It's dumb. I refuse to buy any car without looking at it, driving it (if possible) and talking to the owner about it in person. If he's a BS artist, it'll be clear. I won't even talk serious money till I see it in person.

One other thing about the paint job... most paint jobs by my standards suck. Conversely, many people can't tell a good paint job from a mediocher one. He may truely believe it's good, when it in fact sucks.

If it's that bad send it back. Take the hit. I've never had anything but good luck on EBAY myself. I got my current ride the same way only I actually drove out to see it before I had the guy end the auction. You just need to be more careful.

well i dont know why people buy things w/o looking, Would you get married to someone you've never seen B4? NO? when you buy a car or your serious you can give up to a 500 non ref. dep. Fly out and looked b/c once you buy it your MARRIED to it. I dont think you did all that bad, it could have been alot worse a tire could have fallen off on the way home and you could have totaled it into a wall, or anything, Pick your head up fix what you dont like and live on.At least you own a mustang, end of story

Regarding your Speedo...Pull the Vehicle speed sensor out of the tranny, if it it has an 11 tooth gear put a 13 tooth on it and if it is 13 tooth put a 15 tooth on it, etc etc. That will cure your speedo problem. I have the gears here at my shop email me at [email protected] and I can send them to you at $2.00 plus $0.35 shipping.

iwashmycar said:
Can you even put a 4 cly tranny up to a 5.0? Thats what he is asking. I personally dont know but it sounds odd.

Yup, you just have to put the 5.0 clutch w/ it. Of course you have to count the teeth on the input shaft and tell the parts people how many it has.

2000PONYGT said:
No the guy told me he put a 4 cly tranny?? Any way Im sending it back. Im out $1500 out of the bad deal. This car is crap!! I know, you live and learn.

yup a 4cyl tranny bolts right up. and no that wouldnt cause the speedo to be off. the speedo gear runs off of the tailshaft and it doesnt matter if it was a cobra 6 speed transmission, it still turns at the same speed out the back. the only factor would be different gears in the rear end.

so the paint sucks? thats it? you shouldve asked for high-res pix of the paint and such before you purchased it.

ka0tyk said:
yup a 4cyl tranny bolts right up. and no that wouldnt cause the speedo to be off. the speedo gear runs off of the tailshaft and it doesnt matter if it was a cobra 6 speed transmission, it still turns at the same speed out the back. the only factor would be different gears in the rear end.

so the paint sucks? thats it? you shouldve asked for high-res pix of the paint and such before you purchased it.

Different gears in the rear would only put it off 3 or 4 mph, it has to be the wrong teeth in the VSS gear. They prob had different ones in the 4 cyl trannies, I know there were no gear differences just the input shaft and VSS (maybe). Just pull out the VSS in the tailhousing and count the teeth then go up 2 teeth, each tooth ups the speedo 10 mph, roughly. :D