Got Some Oiling Issues! Need Help!

2L8ULUZ2

Will kiss Moderator ass for title
Founding Member
Sep 24, 2000
WNC
Ok I got in the car today and noticed that the low oil light was on again. So I checked it and once again it was about a quart low. On my way to the parts store I noticed a faint smell of burnt oil like it was leaking on the header. This started a couple months ago and I wa thinking that maybe it was a leaking valve cover. So I got around to changing that and then once again after about 2200 miles again I am low on oil. The thing is I had to remove the baffle in my valve covers to clear the rocker arms. I noticed some oil getting into my intake pipe so I took the breather hose that runs from the valve cover off and closed it off. Well after I done this it seems that this is what caused my problems cause shortly after that is when all this seemed to have started. I am thinking that I building up too much crank pressure without that tube and just a pcv valve and that is what is causing the oil to go like it is. So what do y'all think about all this and do you think that it will go away if I add a breather that is designed for a import to just the nipple where the breather tube use to be or should I leave that capped off and just add a full on breather cap in place of the oil fill cap? Or is this even the cause of the problem? Any and all help is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Um yeah, PCV flow is bi-directional (hence why that filler to inlet hose is there). if one plugs that inlet to oil filler hose off, a breather (bi-directional flow) should be used in lieu of the PCV valve, IMHO. Just note that you will have unmetered air in the system doing this (which is why the hose on the inlet is downstream of the MAF - it is a closed system with all metered air).

i would run it like it was originally or run a breather (with unmetered air - common for forced induction guys who choose to not run a turbo PCV).

you definately dont want to bottle neck the crankcase pressure. often oil gets forced past seals, etc. not good.

good luck.

That was what I was thinking. The thing is the breather tube was up stream from my maf not before it. My thinking was it would be better to run the smaller breather on the nipple for the old tube and then also keep the pcv valve. That should get me by without having to use the tube again. Cause like I said it it was pulling oil back into the intake cause there was not a baffle over it and the rocker arm was throwing oil into it on occasion.

2L8ULUZ2 said:
That was what I was thinking. The thing is the breather tube was up stream from my maf not before it. My thinking was it would be better to run the smaller breather on the nipple for the old tube and then also keep the pcv valve. That should get me by without having to use the tube again. Cause like I said it it was pulling oil back into the intake cause there was not a baffle over it and the rocker arm was throwing oil into it on occasion.
I think we are saying the same thing, but with different connotations (to me, downstream means after the MAF and toward the TB. I think we both are just used to using the terms differently. :) ). but yeah, the tube should be between the MAF and TB, which would mean the tube and PCV get metered air.

with what you propose it should work, but like i said, you will be introducing unmetered air. probably not a huge deal. try it and see. good luck.

Robbie, I had problems with blowing out my dipstick and PCV valve on my car when i did my H/C/I. After every 1/4 mile pass I'd have to check them. I ended up taking the little hose that goes from the intake tube between the MAF and TB off and plugging the air inlet tube. I left the rubber tube connected to the oil fill neck and just have it sitting behind the alt. I also run a breather on the oil fill neck, and I still have my PCV hooked up. This, as hissin said, can lead to having unmetered air make its way into the intake (in through the filter, through the case, and in through the PCV valve). This isn't the best way to run it, but I haven't experienced anything egative doing it this way and its been this way since early 2001. Ideally if emissions isn't a problem for you, you can tap into BOTH valve covers and run breathers on each one and do away totally with the PCV. I still have the baffle in my VC's though. I will be putting on a set of fox VC's when my motor goes back together and they have the baffle removed, I plan to put somethink like a wire sponge or something in there to prevent oil from getting thrown up onto the breather.

Paul, one would think that in this day and age, someone could create a breather that somehow-or-other does not 'mist' oil all over (some sort of mushroom shell around the breather with a lip on the bottom and filtering media around it all, etc).
I once read about something interesting, but I dont recall what it was (it was a little obscure but that was all I remember. Doh.).

Robbie, as an aside, if running like suggested ends up having some undesirable side effects (I have done just what Paul does, but only on my 88 which is SD so it does not matter), one could try either running a catch can or putting a restrictor in the PCV hose. Also, I recently read of someone (this might ring a bell with you guys - it might have been on the Corral) doing something funky with a 90* bend and inserting the PCV into the valve cover, or something to that effect. He reported that it helped a lot, but I really did not pay much attention since it looked like a PITA compared to other methods. :shrug:

Good luck.

I had the same problem when I switched to the performer rpm II. Truns out that the manifold ans tps were sandwiching the hose from the VC and that was causing my pcv to pop out and my dipstick to pop up and spill oil over my headers. I pluged both real good and then it blew out my rear manifold seal. I ended up relocating the hose from the air box to the oil filler cap. I just drilled a hole in it and put a fitting in there and ran the hose to it. Also, I plugged the bung coming off the oil filler neck to where the hose used to be. Looks funny but it works.

sorry I forgot to mention if you can fit one in ther I would re-attack the hose and get a oil/air seperator in between there to collect the oil that comes through. Or just reconnect the hose. The little bit of oil that gets through isnt teally going to hurt anything. Either way you need to re-attach that hose or go with a breather but I would not recommend the latter.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I might have it fixed but it looks like the intake is going to have to come off cause it blew out the end seal on the back of it but that is not too major of a problem to deal with. Anyway, what I done was attached a small breather filter that is for a import to the valve cover where the tube use to be. I got it from autozone for eight bucks so I figure if it ends up not working out in the long run I am not out that much money. I also bought a new pcv valve and when I went to pull the old one out I noticed that it had blown out of the grommet and was just laying on the lower intake. I replaced it and drove it around rather hard for a few minutes and rechecked everything and it was all still in place. So hopefully this has it fixed. Oh and the un metered air does not seem to be a problem so far.