Growling noise coming from the intake?

kaminski347

Feb 2, 2004
Ok so another snag with this motor. I put a used 306 block with new pistons, new afr 185 heads, used trickflow track heat and a b 41 cam. Ive been running it a little and it sounds like a growling noise from the intake. They are used lifters from my old motor but they seemed fine in my old motor.

Could my lifters be making a noise like that? It sounds kinda rough. Not smooth like my old motor. I cant find any info on this problem. Just seeing if anyone had suggestions before I order new lifters.

Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Ok so another snag with this motor. I put a used 306 block with new pistons, new afr 185 heads, used trickflow track heat and a b 41 cam. Ive been running it a little and it sounds like a growling noise from the intake. They are used lifters from my old motor but they seemed fine in my old motor.

Could my lifters be making a noise like that? It sounds kinda rough. Not smooth like my old motor. I cant find any info on this problem. Just seeing if anyone had suggestions before I order new lifters.

Thanks guys

I wouldnt just be replacing everything till it goes away. When you say growling, does it sound like its sucking in air past a gasket or more of a ticking? Does it idle and drive ok?

Can you take a video of it?

It doesnt make any ticking noises. It just doesnt sound real smooth. Its weird tho bc it doesnt seem to have any hesitation or power loss. It just sounds noisy through the upper intake. Idk I think im going to just replace the lifters.

Right now its down to the lifters. I wanted to see if I could hear anything cranking it over but it wasnt making any noises. Ill put it back together tomorrow and get a video.

You said that you have new pistons... are they Badger Pistons? (Badger Pistons, Main Page) if so, when was the last time you fed them. Maybe they are getting mad and growling?

ok, seriously...
what makes you think it is the lifters? Do you have all the unused vacume ports in the intake plugged off? Give us some more details about the car...

I can honestly say Ive never heard the term growling in terms of describing an engine sound lol

Ive heard hissing, humming, whining, screeching, tapping

ok...that just didnt sound right :rolleyes:

Remove intake and call pest control, there is a pissed off cat in there somewhere, it happens to the best of us...and yes, other than that,I have no useful input to add

I know what hes saying when you rev it its kind of like a growl from the sound of the air rushing into the motor.Im guessing you have a cone filter set up. And nothings wrong with using lifters if there low miles on the cam they were used on and going right back on the same excat lobes.Ive done atleast 4times and so have some of my friends.

Haha I know its sounds a little ridiculous but that was the only way I could really explain the noise. Ive heard other noises but this is the first time ive ever heard this. I think Im just going to play it safe and order a new set of lifters. If it still making that noise at least I know its not the lifters. Thanks for the advice