Gt40 heads

• Sponsors (?)

Springs need to be upgraded. Heads need to be checked out. Push rod length will need to be checked. May need certain headers for spark plug clearance.

Springs need to be upgraded. Heads need to be checked out. Push rod length will need to be checked. May need certain headers for spark plug clearance.
What do you think a set of GT40 3bar Heads and 1.7s would go for? My buddy wants to get his off his car and swap to some aluminum heads, and is wondering what a good price would be to sell them? I said leave them intact, clean them up nicely, and do like 475/500 obo?

What do you think a set of GT40 3bar Heads and 1.7s would go for? My buddy wants to get his off his car and swap to some aluminum heads, and is wondering what a good price would be to sell them? I said leave them intact, clean them up nicely, and do like 475/500 obo?
Anyone that pays $500 for gt40 iron heads is nuts.
Me personally I think they are worth $0.
I'd say realistically $150, they are literally a dime a dozen and I've known people who have scrapped them and given them away.
Modern sedans are getting pretty quick, no point in a head swap that leaves you with a car slower than a kia.

Ok, stop comparing these fox cars with the cars produced in the last five years, it's not a fair comparison, a modern 4 cylinder sedan will give a stock fox mustang a run for the money. I agree gt40s have little to offer and the p's just a little more but if you can pickup a set for cheap that are known to be good already updated with springs, add a set of 1.7 roller rockers, explorer intake and tb with some respectable gears you have a spirited driver without emptying your wallet. Now if you're shooting for a specific hp number then there are of course better options, thats where planning your build works.
you can go from gt to cobra hp to yank'n the front wheels off the ground with planning and money, granted gt40's are old school but they work better than the E7's, just don't expect a lot from them.

Anyone that pays $500 for gt40 iron heads is nuts.
Me personally I think they are worth $0.
I'd say realistically $150, they are literally a dime a dozen and I've known people who have scrapped them and given them away.
Modern sedans are getting pretty quick, no point in a head swap that leaves you with a car slower than a kia.
I paid $250 for a pair with new trickflow springs, retainers, valves, and a Vic Jr carb intake. Also cane with arp head bolts.

$150 for the heads with good springs is a price I’d pay. No more than $100 if they’re bone stock though.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, stop comparing these fox cars with the cars produced in the last five years, it's not a fair comparison

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this thinking.
A fox is not old enough to get a free pass yet.

A h/c/I swap is an under taking for most people and you might as well make the most of it.
It's not like it takes a dart block to keep up, it just takes a quality parts.
I'm not saying you have to have more power than a zo6, i'm simply saying that you don't want to have a worked car and run nose to nose with a new camry.

You can have a free pass when all cars are electric and make 500ftlbs of torque with electric motors to all 4 wheels.

$150 for the heads with good springs is a price I’d pay. No more than $100 if they’re bone stock though.

Agreed. Value should be dictated mostly by the hardware attached. Good springs and maybe some RR's, then they have a little value.

Bone stock? $100 MAX for GT-40 and maybe $50 or so for GT40P. Main difference being the ability to use regular headers with the GT40 vs the PITA header requirements with the 40P ever since the FMS P headers have been discontinued. Although some guys have had luck using 90* boots and such for the plugs.

I recently sold my stock GT-40P heads I've had sitting around for years for $40...and that was a struggle.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this thinking.
A fox is not old enough to get a free pass yet.

A h/c/I swap is an under taking for most people and you might as well make the most of it.
It's not like it takes a dart block to keep up, it just takes a quality parts.
I'm not saying you have to have more power than a zo6, i'm simply saying that you don't want to have a worked car and run nose to nose with a new camry.

You can have a free pass when all cars are electric and make 500ftlbs of torque with electric motors to all 4 wheels.
Ok, I will amend my thinking, but I ain't drive'n no prius!

Agreed. Value should be dictated mostly by the hardware attached. Good springs and maybe some RR's, then they have a little value.

Bone stock? $100 MAX for GT-40 and maybe $50 or so for GT40P. Main difference being the ability to use regular headers with the GT40 vs the PITA header requirements with the 40P ever since the FMS P headers have been discontinued. Although some guys have had luck using 90* boots and such for the plugs.

I recently sold my stock GT-40P heads I've had sitting around for years for $40...and that was a struggle.
I Agree with all this . Shoot the only reason I picked up the p’s was due to the upgraded Valvetrain and since it came with the Vic Jr and hardware.

Meh, 90 degree spark plug boots behind the header aren’t my thing. Rather break down and buy gt40 headers.

I have a set of HEAVILY worked over gt40 irons... 2.02,1.6 manley valves with k-motion springs setup for my custom cam, drilled for 7/16 studs so i can use good RR.... all a huge waste of money! for what i have in them I could have run a set of TFS heads by now... live and learn

Threadjack: "GT40 3 bar heads they've been hot tanked, magnafluxed, 3 angle valve job, new dual springs for performance cam, surfaced, new valve stems seals and new freeze plugs. I decided to go with aluminum heads instead so these are up for sale. "

So $400 is to much for these? I figured springs were 150. Machine shop work 200. I kinda really want them. Dont feel like dropping 1k on alum. Heads.