Guys running stock crank 96 and up

702 bullitt

Aug 8, 2003
ST. LOUIS
I would like to know if any of you guys have the stock crank and forged rods and pistons. I'm interested if you do, what kind of rwhp are you at and what rpms? I would like to see 500rwhp or close to with s-trim, blower cams(what grind), my bullitt intake, Anderson powerpipe. Whats a good combo for 500rwhp? I 'm thinking of staying with the stocker crank get some ross or chp pistons and manley rods and go with the cobra oil pump, and pickup.A good set of head gaskets not sure witch ones. All arp bolts, a 96-98 cobra oil pan good bearings and maybe a engine girdle. Cobra tank and pumps, 42 lbs injec, KBBP. Any feed back would help my decision. Thanks, Steve

• Sponsors (?)

You really think I will have problems at that hp. I have heard no one on any forum saying that there stock crank has bit the dust. It's normallythe rods and pistons that go. I need more people to chime in please, need your thoughts!

No need to add the extra 7 lbs of rotating mass from the steel Cobra crank unless you plan on making tons of power in a race car.
I've never heard of or seen a failed crankshaft from a defect or weakness in the cast crankshaft itself.
JL

the stock cranks should be fine, but i believe the Cobra crank is balanced more than the cast. i did however, break my stock cast crank with less than 500rwhp. the keyway in my cranks broke and messed up my cam timing witch resulted in bent valves. i now have the Cobra crank.

now as far as achieving 500rwhp, you'd be better of with a Paxton Novi 2000. it's a much more powerful blower than the S-trim and it will get you to 500rwhp much easier.

DBMSTNG said:
the stock cranks should be fine, but i believe the Cobra crank is balanced more than the cast. i did however, break my stock cast crank with less than 500rwhp. the keyway in my cranks broke and messed up my cam timing witch resulted in bent valves. i now have the Cobra crank.

now as far as achieving 500rwhp, you'd be better of with a Paxton Novi 2000. it's a much more powerful blower than the S-trim and it will get you to 500rwhp much easier.
The crank key itself,or the keyway in the crankshaft snout? What year engine? Single or two piece camshaft sprockets on the crank snout?
JL

JohnnyLangton said:
The crank key itself,or the keyway in the crankshaft snout? What year engine? Single or two piece camshaft sprockets on the crank snout?
JL

the keyway in the crankshaft snout. it's a 99. i believe that it's the single piece sprocket, right? it's pressed on and not bolted on? i can't remember which is which. it's been awhile.

DBMSTNG said:
the keyway in the crankshaft snout. it's a 99. i believe that it's the single piece sprocket, right? it's pressed on and not bolted on? i can't remember which is which. it's been awhile.
I think you misunderstood me.I'm referring to the crankshaft sprocket on the crank that drives the camshafts.Ford manufactured them two ways.A single piece for both chains,or a two-piece with one small gear for each chain.The 2 piece has alot more load and stress on the crank keyway and the key itself.
JL

you guys are technically way over my head with all the "one piece, two piece, sprocket, etc." talk, but, I have all stock internals pushing almost 400 RWHP in my '96 GT... 100,000 miles on it and no internal problems... yet...