H.r.4715 - Rpm Act Of 2016

• Sponsors (?)

Disagree. Try to order an off road part from summit racing or jegs and have it shipped to ca. They wont do it. Ca figured out you dont go after the individuals.....you go after the companies selling the parts. They have deeper pockets.

The fine for just shipping an off road h pipe into ca....even if its just going to get hung over the fireplace is 25k per occurance.

Then once they take down the company...subpoena the customer list ...game over...

Ive been in the automotive aftermarket for 17 years...13 of which were working for a catalytic converter company. Ive all ready seen first hand what the government can do.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I got no problem with it. I do not intend to modify a street car into race car only status. Much in the same way I have no problem with strict rules put into effect banning the sales of military grade weapons to recreational users.

Hear me out now before you start getting all p issy.

I don't take issue with these things because I'm not part of the contingent that stands to lose something if the law is put in effect.

Just like the majority of Americans are not racers, and are not gun owners.if they're not affected by it, they will be less likely to be sympathetic to the cause.

It's always the squeakiest wheel that gets the grease in measures of what law gets put into place. If the EPA proves that all you racers are circumventing govt mandated emissions equipment on your race car, then you will have to find a way to deal with that.

The gun guys have the power of the constitution and the NRA in their corner, and you race car guys got what?....There is no amendment that permits you the right to bear nitrous.

All this goes to say is that it's gonna be tough to stop them unless "once street driven" race cars can evolve to keep emissions equipment intact maybe?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't have a purpose built race car but that doesn't mean I don't care for the over reaching EPA screwing with people. Just like the fact that I'm not a gun owner but I do support others to have the right to bear arms. However just like lots of other things, if emissions must remain on a vehicle and everyone else plays by the rules it will remain an even playing field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Seeing as how most emissions based accessories shut down at wot I really don't see a huge impact here other than a tech inspection at the track means there has to be intact emissions equipment. I also agree with all the above comments. The first individuals that will contend with this will be the aftermarket companies and just like California carb rules there will be exemptions and vehicles grandfathered in.
Does this mean people like @84Ttop will have to equip emissions on their cars? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Seeing as how most emissions based accessories shut down at wot I really don't see a huge impact here other than a tech inspection at the track means there has to be intact emissions equipment. I also agree with all the above comments. The first individuals that will contend with this will be the aftermarket companies and just like California carb rules there will be exemptions and vehicles grandfathered in.
Does this mean people like @84Ttop will have to equip emissions on their cars? Maybe yes, maybe no.
I think smog exempt vehicles will still stay the same so Nicks 84' would be OK but his 15' 5.0 may not be :shrug:

If this passes into law, what is next? Sorry Sir: I can't sell you that soda pop because it is bad for your health. Sorry Sir. I can't sell you a car that goes faster than the speed limit, after all, speeding is against the law. Excuse me Sir. You can't step outside into the sunshine without a hat and long sleeves, after all skin cancer can be deadly. After all, the current administration is trying to bully States into accepting "transgender" or those who "identify" as transgender going into any restroom or public locker room. It has already happened here in Washington State. A man who "identifies" as a woman can go into the Women's locker rooms at Golds Gym or YMCA and shower with the women and little girls. Against the law to say something about it to the individual. The only right the Women have is to leave the locker room. That folks is Fuc*ed up. It is only going to get worse.

Reactions: 7 users
As it is written, I don't see a problem with it. It sounds like the EPA is trying to regulate full on competition vehicles which makes no sense really. The little bit of emissions that are put out at any given track at any given time still can't equal what our government puts out overall on a daily basis. Is there emissions equipment on aircraft carriers or fighter jets? How about nuclear testing? We the people can't destroy the environment for our personal use, but Uncle Sam has no problem with it when it comes to policing the world. Hypocrites at their finest trying to basically bully the little guy. But, as I see it, this bill has no bearing on the common car enthusiast, in fact it may possibly be in our favor in the long run.

I signed the online petition which automatically sends emails to your local elected boneheads and I got this automated response.....

Dear Mr. Branco:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 4715, the Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports Act of 2016. It is an honor to represent the people of Eastern Washington and I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

In 1990, when Congress sought to regulate nonroad vehicles, it explicitly excluded from the definition of ‘nonroad vehicle’ any vehicle used solely for competition. Despite the clear intent of Congress, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has cited the Clean Air Act as a source of executive authority over regulating racecars. To address this issue, Representative Patrick McHenry introduced H.R. 4715, to clarify that nonroad vehicles that are used solely for competition are exempt from certain provisions of the Clean Air Act.

The EPA and this Administration as a whole continue to overstep their Constitutional authority, and the Executive Branch’s continued disregard for the will of Congress is unacceptable. Today, Executive Branch agencies blur the lines between executive and legislative functions, effectively writing their own laws without Congressional approval. Moving forward, you may be assured that I will work to return to the separation of powers set forth by our Founding Fathers and I will keep your views in mind should H.R. 4714 come before me in the House.

Thank you again for contacting me on this important issue. As your Representative in Congress, I am committed to putting the best interests of Eastern Washington first. Please visit my website atwww.mcmorrisrodgers.house.gov for additional information or to sign up for my e-newsletter. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
CMRSignature.jpg

Cathy McMorris Rodgers
Member of Congress

As it is written, I don't see a problem with it. It sounds like the EPA is trying to regulate full on competition vehicles which makes no sense really. . But, as I see it, this bill has no bearing on the common car enthusiast, in fact it may possibly be in our favor in the long run.

You don't see a problem with it, but it makes no sense, and it may be in our favor. Hmmm. I have a HUGE problem with it. I have a production vehicle that was turned into a race car. This bill would outlaw that car from being used. It would outlaw me changing one of my other cars into a race car. My current race car burns C16, a leaded race fuel. I use about 55 gallons a year. I am sure that icebergs are melting just at the thought of my car burning race fuel. There is a multi Billion $ industry built around the race car hobby. It would un-necessarily cripple an entire section of the economy costing tens of thousands of jobs. And you think that it would be in our favor in the long run? I don't get it. Because it does not immediately impact you it must be OK. :shrug:

You don't see a problem with it, but it makes no sense, and it may be in our favor. Hmmm. I have a HUGE problem with it. I have a production vehicle that was turned into a race car. This bill would outlaw that car from being used. It would outlaw me changing one of my other cars into a race car. My current race car burns C16, a leaded race fuel. I use about 55 gallons a year. I am sure that icebergs are melting just at the thought of my car burning race fuel. There is a multi Billion $ industry built around the race car hobby. It would un-necessarily cripple an entire section of the economy costing tens of thousands of jobs. And you think that it would be in our favor in the long run? I don't get it. Because it does not immediately impact you it must be OK. :shrug:
All former race car enthusiasts and race car parts sales people can now apply here......

Current Job Openings at EPA
It takes people with many different backgrounds and skill sets to address the multifaceted challenges EPA faces every day

"multifaceted challenges" like "How can I screw hard working Americans out of a buck today?" kind of challenges. Ahh yes, the Gubment is getting bigger, and bigger....

@Bullitt347 Did you read the bill? It is EXEMPTING race cars from having to comply with the Clean Air Act. The EPA is currently trying to enforce racers to comply. So no, I don't see a problem with the bill and you are also correct that it doesn't impact me directly. But if the EPA is trying to enforce this onto the racing community, how long will it be until they enforce the Clean Air Act on EVERYTHING on the road? So yes, I believe it could be in our favor in the long run. And in case you didn't actually read the bill as posted on congress.gov, here it is:

H. R. 4715

To exclude vehicles used solely for competition from certain provisions of the Clean Air Act, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
March 7, 2016
Mr. McHenry (for himself, Mr. Hudson, Mr. Zeldin, Mr. Posey, and Mr. Cuellar) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

A BILL
To exclude vehicles used solely for competition from certain provisions of the Clean Air Act, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
42 U.S.C. 7522) is amended by adding at the end of subsection (a) the following: “No action with respect to any device or element of design referred to in paragraph (3) shall be treated as a prohibited act under that paragraph if the action is for the purpose of modifying a motor vehicle into a vehicle to be used solely for competition.”.

42 U.S.C. 7550) is amended by striking “.” at the end of paragraph (2) and inserting “and that is not a vehicle used solely for competition, including any vehicle so used that was converted from a motor vehicle.”.

SEC. 5. IMPLEMENTATION.

Not later than 12 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency shall finalize any regulations necessary to implement the amendments made by this Act.

@Bullitt347 Did you read the bill? It is EXEMPTING race cars from having to comply with the Clean Air Act. The EPA is currently trying to enforce racers to comply. So no, I don't see a problem with the bill and you are also correct that it doesn't impact me directly. But if the EPA is trying to enforce this onto the racing community, how long will it be until they enforce the Clean Air Act on EVERYTHING on the road? So yes, I believe it could be in our favor in the long run. And in case you didn't actually read the bill as posted on congress.gov, here it is:

H. R. 4715

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
March 7, 2016
Mr. McHenry (for himself, Mr. Hudson, Mr. Zeldin, Mr. Posey, and Mr. Cuellar) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Energy and Commerce

A BILL

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,
42 U.S.C. 7522) is amended by adding at the end of subsection (a) the following: “No action with respect to any device or element of design referred to in paragraph (3) shall be treated as a prohibited act under that paragraph if the action is for the purpose of modifying a motor vehicle into a vehicle to be used solely for competition.”.

42 U.S.C. 7550) is amended by striking “.” at the end of paragraph (2) and inserting “and that is not a vehicle used solely for competition, including any vehicle so used that was converted from a motor vehicle.”.

SEC. 5. IMPLEMENTATION.

Not later than 12 months after the date of enactment of this Act, the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency shall finalize any regulations necessary to implement the amendments made by this Act.
@LILCBRA
Actually the bill HR4715 that you just quoted is a bill that was created by SEMA to counter parts of the Clean Air Act that their trying to get Congress to approve. The Clean Air Act will turn the racing world upside down both locally and professionally. HR4715 was created by the automotive industry to help protect car racing.

That was where the original posting's link took me. So if this is only an ammendment, I totally agree with this. If the EPA decides to go after the little guy, that's a whole different issue which I kinda tried to elude to previously. So we can thank the number of politicians who support the ammendment written above as it can only help us in the long run. It is what I quoted earlier that I am in agreeance with.

That was where the original posting's link took me. So if this is only an ammendment, I totally agree with this. If the EPA decides to go after the little guy, that's a whole different issue which I kinda tried to elude to previously. So we can thank the number of politicians who support the ammendment written above as it can only help us in the long run. It is what I quoted earlier that I am in agreeance with.
Sorry if there is any confusion. The links I provided shows the response of what the people and industry are taking against the EPA and the Clean Air Act. HR4715 is to ammend this bogus bill and protect racing.

I'd like to see a bill created that makes politicians use electric cars to travel around the country instead of using Air Force 1 (and other private jets) to fly all over the USA to golf, campaign, guest appearances/photo ops & fund raisers, spread lies, etc. That would help clean up the air.

Have no evidence but I believe one private jet cross country trip emits more emissions than my off road h pipe contributes in a year(especially when it's on jack stands lol).

I've always found this "clean air" emissions stuff as silly. Not saying it's not an issue for every daily driven vehicle/over the road semi/emissions emitting factory/etc. but the small percentage of race cars/older car's emissions?? I call :bs: I also can't stand politicians/government telling me what I can or cannot do(within reason of course). I always got a chuckle about Gore rambling on about Global Warning as he flew around the world. Obviously I'm biased in this debate. I like race cars. But I also like to breathe:rolleyes:
I'm with @Bullitt347