Had a little scare today

Dan P.

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
N.C.
I was on my way to class today and was having some problems shifting my car into gear. Well came to a stop and could not get it into any gear. I had to let it roll down a hill through a 4 way stop without stopping :eek: and into a parking lot. I even got it into a spot. Turns out the bracket that connects the Dog Bone cable had bent to a 90 degree angle. Its suppose to be U shaped. I luckily had my jack with me and I happen to have a spare bracket. Took about 30 min to get everything back together but she shifts fine now and lets out rather high. But I was worried that it was something that was worse. I think i might try to use the machine shop here and make my own from some 6061 Al so this doesnt happen again.

Dan

• Sponsors (?)

Damn dude, that sounds a bit scary.. I am glad you got it figured out though, it must have been messed up to begin with, i have never heard of one of those brackets bending, they are fairly thick. Sounds like the new bracket might also have improved your clutch throw, So it all works out in the end.

Dr.

I've had the long clutch cable break before and the dog bone cable too. The dog bone broke twice. Once I was at the Ford dealer 35 miles from home. Yeah, guess which ford dealer had the part??? The one at home...oh, and there was snow on the ground. The second time was in town at the grocery store. So that makes for two on-road fixes for me. Pretty good at it now :) I'm using a bolt now instead of the cable, but I keep a cable in the glovebox for reserve.

you carry a spare dogbone at all times? lol, just thought it was funny that you had the exact part you needed in the car at the time, talk about being lucky (not lucky enough for it to not bent tho).

victor