Happy Birthday to ME: HERE IS MY PRESENT:

• Sponsors (?)

Did you need a new compressor, or is it the whole air handling unit? I had to replace my compressor last year and it cost me on the order of $500, nowhere near what a new motor would run (around $5000) ... :shrug:

Happy birthday anyway!

Happy birfday...mine is tomarrow (18th) :D

I am lucky enough to have a very good friend that is more like a brother to me that does HVAC. He is the type that when he is sitting still is thinking about what types of setups would work for what kind of need:lol: . Our A/C is at the end of its life and will be needing to be replaced in a year to so. After talking to him it is SOOOO much cheaper to know someone...like a 400$ part and isntall that he gets at 40$:jaw: :eek: and I thought audio stuff was jacked up in price.

I dont know if you have tried but looking for a local car club member/friend of a friend who is looking for some side work will prob. save a ton.

Help out this thoroughly confused SI unit user from the great white north,

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the "ton" as a thermal unit? We are used to using BTU's up here. Or are they reffering to the weight of the machine :scratch:

BlackVert said:
Did you need a new compressor, or is it the whole air handling unit? I had to replace my compressor last year and it cost me on the order of $500, nowhere near what a new motor would run (around $5000) ... :shrug:

Happy birthday anyway!
Compressor was bad, it leaked freon, and the coils were extremely cruddy...

It is the original builder POS Goodman (Badman) unit, So I said to h3ll with it, and just replaced the whole thing!!

RC

My buddy was talking about "tons" as well, also about the sear(sp?) that the std. is like 13 now, but that is the effic. of the unit. He was talking about a 2ton unit (small-ish but dont really need a biggie).

Tranes are bad ass stuff man.

blksn955.o said:
My buddy was talking about "tons" as well, also about the sear(sp?) that the std. is like 13 now, but that is the effic. of the unit. He was talking about a 2ton unit (small-ish but dont really need a biggie).

Tranes are bad ass stuff man.

This is a 5-ton, 17 SEER rating...The gov. mandated 13 as a min. last year.

This thing removes 20+ gallons of water a day in humidity...a stnd unit is about 8 gals.

This has a digital touch screen programmable tstat with humidity control.

When they turned it on...the humidity was 66%....in 1/2 hour, it was down to 57 %....Right now, the temp is 76 (was 84) and the humidity is 48% after about 5 hours.
RC

Nice! Do you have dual-zone HVAC there Rob?

Here in Tucson, I have two AC units, two heating units and an Evap cooler. It's cheaper that way if one unit takes a dump (the reasoning for the duplicity is so at night you can heat/cool bedrooms without cooling the rest of the house).

Enjoy that bad boy!

HISSIN50 said:
Nice! Do you have dual-zone HVAC there Rob?

Here in Tucson, I have two AC units, two heating units and an Evap cooler. It's cheaper that way if one unit takes a dump (the reasoning for the duplicity is so at night you can heat/cool bedrooms without cooling the rest of the house).

Enjoy that bad boy!
The builders here only put in 1 unit..I have 2980 SF under roof (ac area).
The general rule is 500 SF per ton..so my 5-ton is not quite the right size..they shouldve put 2 units.
This TRane unit is more than enough for the 3000 SF area The sucker is GIANT, and the coil area is twice the size of my old unit.. ON top of that, you can barely hear the motor.

Im guessing $100+ savings per month on electric.

RC

94GTLaserRC said:
The builders here only put in 1 unit..I have 2980 SF under roof (ac area).
The general rule is 500 SF per ton..so my 5-ton is not quite the right size..they shouldve put 2 units.
This TRane unit is more than enough for the 3000 SF area The sucker is GIANT, and the coil area is twice the size of my old unit.. ON top of that, you can barely hear the motor.

Im guessing $100+ savings per month on electric.

RC

Its actually 400SF per ton and yes the new 13 seer and up units are alot bigger than the 10 seers they need more coil space. I work for a commercial a/c company, we do residential also but this new seer rating has cost a lot of people $1000's. You cant find any 10seer coils anymore and if you do your lucky. If you have a leak in the coil at your air handler your gonna have to replace the whole air unit(condensor and air handler).

Happy Birthday -Enjoy your 17seer unit!

Lots of technical mumbo jumbo going on here that I don't understand. :D

Reason for the post:
Rob, I forgot to wish you Happy Birthday!