Has Anyone "successfully" Restored Their Cracked/worn Leather Seats?

92Apocalypso

Mar 7, 2017
so if you saw a previous post, I just grabbed a pair of 01 cobra seats. passenger side is great, driver of course has much more wear, but overall pretty good. bottom of seat and bolster has some cracks and I would like to do a restore. I've seen a couple methods overt the years, shoe polish, spraypaint mixed with lacquer thinner..... anyone have any insight? thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

pics attached.

Attachments

• Resized952017082495141104.jpg
    Resized952017082495141104.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Resized952017082495141055.jpg
    Resized952017082495141055.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 177
Dying it is probably the best you could do to hide the cracks.

A leather prep could probably soften it up a bit so it won't bother your legs much.

It's not splitting yet, is it?

Meguiars leather conditioner.

Wipe seats down, put black contractor trash bag over them and let them sit. Repeat as needed. I usually do this over the winter as the car sits, but I *think* it works better when it's more humid out (hence the trash bag)

Won't take them all out but will soften them over time

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Meguiars leather conditioner.

Wipe seats down, put black contractor trash bag over them and let them sit. Repeat as needed. I usually do this over the winter as the car sits, but I *think* it works better when it's more humid out (hence the trash bag)

Won't take them all out but will soften them over time

do you think I'll have any worries with the alcantara?

There are companies that do leather repair at the dealer I work at. Can't tell the seats were ever cracked or torn. There has to be a company somewhere around you.

No...usually around 100 bucks to fix a worn seat. I'm sure if you contact some used car ( larger ) dealers they could point you in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 user
Stop....

No conditioner or otherwise until you have all the cracks etc., re-dyed.

I've used this:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=172356380621

They have them for other vehicles too, of course.

AFTER you have all the cracks filled/dyed then you can go about conditioning the leather with chosen goop.

If you condition first, you'll have to saddle soap all that stuff off again to use the dye and then re-apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Stop....

No conditioner or otherwise until you have all the cracks etc., re-dyed.

I've used this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-CHEVROLE...UCH-UP-KITS-/172356380621?hash=item28213da7cd

They have them for other vehicles too, of course.

AFTER you have all the cracks filled/dyed then you can go about conditioning the leather with chosen goop.

If you condition first, you'll have to saddle soap all that stuff off again to use the dye and then re-apply.

excellent info, thank you. I'll look into those. easy to use?