Has anyone used holley projection 4 or a newer 950 cmdr?

crazypete

All my crevices are greased.
Oct 22, 2004
Arlington, MA
With my recent carb troubles.....I've been giving thought to an aftermarket TBI unit that just drops right in place of the carb and keeps the enginebay nice and tidy and keeps me from having to drop the fueltank and run a retrun line and size injectors and mafs....etc.

I have been looking seriously at a holley commander 950, one of the new ones. At $1300, it seems like a bargain though it might have to wait a month at least before I can throw $1300 out the window.

On the other hand.....there are some used projection systems out there right now for 3-400 bucks. Says they flow 950 cfm tops.

Has anyone had experience with these? How is drivability/economy/emissions/power?

How hard are they to tune?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

~Pete

• Sponsors (?)

One thing is for sure - you're going to have some tuning issues no matter which system you get. The advantage of the OEM Ford system is that you can get lots of support right here on Stangnet.

Ford would use 24 LB injectors, 70MM-80MM Pro-Flow MAF with 24 Lb cal, 65 MM TB, Explorer/Cobra/GT40 manifold, 155 LPH or bigger fuel pump, EFI distributor, wiring harness from 91-93 Mustang, A9P computer, EGR spacer, EGR valve, EVR regulator , TAB & TAD solenoids for the Themactor Air System (smog pump).

A lot of the above is available with some J/Y time. The Explorer manifold comes complete with the 65 MM TB, and some of the Ford trucks or Lincoln MK 8's have the 24 LB injectors.

no, but i was looking at them a while ago and asked one of my teachers about them and he didnt have anything good to say about them. he said its not adaptive at all, so whatever you set it at...thats what its at. but thats how it is with a carb also. i think it would be pretty sweet and if i had the money i would go that route

I had given serious thought to heading over to menards and getting myself an "EFI kit" via a donor car but then I relized exactly how much stuff that entailed.

1. upper intake
2. lower intake
3. injector rails
4. injectors
5. baro sensor
6. tab/tad system to avoid check engine light
7. 2 new o2 sensors
8. MAF
9. Throttle body
10. throttle and TV cables
11. fuel lines (I cut the ones up in the engine bay)
12. deleting the mechanical fuel pump, efi tc cover, deleting eccentric
13. Dropping the tank and reinstalling the in tank pump
14. Wiring and relaying the EEC-4

Figuring out which of the 10+ years old junkyard injectors, sensors still work.

Figuring out which wires are frayed in the 10+ year old junkyard harnesses.

Putting aside 2 weeks and ~2k to get all this done.

OR

Getting a TBI unit, bolting it in place of the carb, screw in the kit's supplied o2 sensor, swap the electric inline pump in place, connect a few harnesses (nothing even close to the full EFI harness) and tune.

Besides, if the TBI unit fails....it has the same configuration as the carb(linkages and intake). I can just drop the carb back on. This is why I considered the tbi unit in the first place.

If I had no choice other than doing a full EFI conversion on this then I would part out and buy a nice little saab 93 2.0T and hang up my wrenches. I have neither the time or resources to do major conversions anymore and I need to drive this thing to get to work. Life has caught up with me. Now a quick drop in TBI conversion.... I can still borrow my parent's garage for a weekend and plop the holley in but pulling intakes and major reconstruction dont see it happening.

brands5.0 said:
What problems are you haveing with your carb. that would make you want to go to EFI?????

Well, originally, it was a small issue where I had failed emissions in MA...with the carb already leaned out pretty well and fresh cats/smogpump all the supporting smog hardware.

I downjetted to get it even leaner and the car caught fire probably from a leaking power valve (cats crazy heated the heck up and set the paint on the bottom of the car on fire). Now the car refuses to start without a minute of cranking and half a can of starter fluid and idling is accomplished by pegging the throttle open. yeaaaaah.

But heck, I would not give up on my holley for a simple fire.... :D

But when you think of
1. That extra 1-2 mpg
2. Better emissions
3. Tuning from the drivers seat
4. Same size and dimensions as a carb
5. Power valve cant leak and cause your cats to set the car on fire.

....The TBI systems dont look too bad.

Here is why i ask if you go with the 950 you will need some one with tuneing exp. lots of it. I am one of the only people to use a 950 on this site. Had it for 3 months never got it to run 100% there was alway some place where is bucked or sputtered. But i did all the tuneing my self if you have a shop or are blesed with the ability to set up fuel tables and timimg curves then the 950 is what your looking for. But the TBI sounds like it would work better

I thought these came with pre set fuel maps that would get you pretty close...

I know the pro-jection systems have like 5 dials you turn and thats it. Doesnt sound significantly better than a carb but you can do the tuning from the drivers seat.