Has anyone used this header on their I-6 ?

• Sponsors (?)

Not I....though I have used other cheap stainless Ebay headers. They aren't bad quality really...but the hardware that comes with them is garbage and is prone to vibrating loose(they don't even have lock washers). I wouldn't expect it to last forever, but hard to beat the price. As long as you realize that most of the headers on the market have little to do with performance and a lot to do with "bling". Notice they don't even list the primary size...which means they likely use the same primary size for all their headers instead of using a size that compliments a certain engine.

Thanks for your input. Bling, maybe a little or a conversation piece. Kid at car show "Kool, it has a header". The exhaust manifold is the factory built on can type. I think it has a catalytic converter inside of it. The engine is a 250 so it would have to help it breathe a little. It's TDB that the intake manifold is not removable. If I had access to and money for a mid '90s Australian all aluminum EFI 250 that would be sweet. Have you ever seen one? It kind of looks like a Japanese engine.
Australian 250

Your link doesn't load...but if you are talking about the BA engine(whether NA or turbo) its definately the latest and greatest in the evolution of the Ford I6:

image42405_b.thumbnail.jpg

However...it is not all aluminum, its a cast iron block with an aluminum head. You can get a non-turbo one for about $1600 or so from Ebay:

Sure...$1000 of that is shipping, but really not a bad price. I actually like the Intech version better though from an aesthetic viewpoint...less power, SOHC earlier version of the engine:

OZ204M_jpg.jpg

Unlike the Barra(above) the Intech still has a distributor...which means you can convert it to say triple Weber carbs. Wont make as much power but will look period correct.

An interesting fact...both the Intech and the Barra engines were used as industrial generators...some of those generators made it here to the US so you can occasionally find them at equipment auctions if you are lucky.

Reactions: 1 user
I was talking about one of these.
aussieI6.jpg

I wasn't even logged in and the link worked for me...

Early 90s was the EB engine for Ford Australia(either 3.9L or 4.0L), prior to the EB was the Aluminum 4.1L crossflow head(which is what your picture is I suspect). Crossflow heads have a clipped passenger side of the valve cover:

0f5081a5c3baef26227c559048cc4ad6.png

The crossflow head was aluminum(later ones anyway, early ones were iron), but the block was iron all the way through every iteration of the I6. However, the crossflow head is the only one that can be adapted(with modifications) to the US block...after the XE generation the block evolved away from the earlier design.

If I were to choose one of the engines to swap, my choice would be the Intech 4.0L, crossflow heads are getting hard to find even in Australia, much less the US.

As a practical matter, if I were to swap a different I6 into a vintage Mustang, I would chose a Jaguar AJ6...the only all-aluminum DOHC I6 out there that has a distributor. Slap some triple Weber sidedrafts on it, a longtube header and call it a day.

Reactions: 1 user
@wicked93gs That's a lot of good information that you have provided...

Haha, I am just fascinated that Ford Australia continued to develop the engine all the way to 2016 where Ford USA dropped development back in the 80s here without even getting to a crossflow head. I would love to have the Australian engines to play around with but know that in the end I would be disappointed simply because the engines don't rev very high which limits the acceptable trans(and rear end) gear ratios quite bit.