Hatchback Spoiler

paddyrk

Jun 7, 2018
Dublin, OH
Hello, does anyone know if the stock spoiler actually helps at high speeds for stability? I have seen some things online about how sometimes stock spoiler actually reduce high speed handling, and with my mustang being a 1991, I figured it would be effected by this. I haven't gotten it on the drag strip yet, but I have done speeds over 100 in and I'm not sure if it was just a feeling or a placebo, but it didn't seem too solid. I have seen multiple drag foxes without rear wings, and wanted to know if it helped aerodynamics and high speed handling. I am very curious especially since most drag wings come off the back of the car and are parallel to the ground. Anything helps. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

A drag wing does help stability. These cars don't feel solid above 100mph regardless. The aerodynamics of the front end contribute to that. That's why a bunch of racers use the smooth front lower, it helps keep air from getting under the front of the car.

Haven't seen testing results for a stock hatch wing. Down force is pretty important and so is controlling the air pocket behind the rear bumper.

Speed air control is different for straight line and for street. Pushing the front down too much can cause the rear to lift...and pushing the rear down too much will cause the front to raise at speed.

I think I read somewhere the LX wing was perhaps a bit more effective than the GT wing. I believe it's why Steeda developed their aero wing.

One of these days I might buy one

doing the ranger air dam on my car was the single most effective mod for making the car feel more stable at speed. you can actually feel the car get sucked against the road. It is a popular mod in the autocross world and i would do it again.

Reactions: 1 user
Older thread, but a couple things...

The stock wings and spoilers do basically nothing with regards to downforce. The main issue is that the shape of the roof requires an effective wing to sit much higher to work. The 2000 Cobra R is a good example of a functional wing for this style of car, as well as the more serious fox body race cars.

Secondly, the reason why these cars feel unstable at speed is because (as is common on a street car) they create lift rather than downforce. The only way to reduce this problem is to reduce the amount of air going under the car using a valence. A splitter can also be combined for further effect.

The downside to this on a street car is the reduced ride heights required to make these pieces effective means they will likely be damaged with normal street use.

Lastly, the ranger air dam serves a purpose, but not in reducing lift - it is actually about making the cooling system more effective by directing more air through the radiator, which can be an issue for Fox mustangs on road courses, especially if they are making more than stock horsepower. The positioning of the air dam is a source of lift, and the ranger dam only exacerbates the problem.

The best solution is to convert the car to a front breather by sealing the radiator off so that it takes air in through the front fascia and eliminating the stock air dam. This is a requirement when adding a valence to the leading edge of the front bumper because the reduced air under the car would cause overheating in the stock configuration.