Have you had to replace your rag top yet?

Caldwell

Apr 27, 2004
Ontario Canada
My '94 GT Convertible is lookin good for her age, especially in the rag top.
BUUUUT, I noticed today, that the stress cracks near the back and side windows are starting to really develop. It's white too, so i mean, the cracks typically are more noticable.
What's worse for me, is i am anal, to put it bluntly... whenever anything goes wrong, something shakes weird, ... an odd ball sound eminates from the car for a split second!!! it needs to be fixed...

*Sigh*

does anyone know how much a rag for a 94-98 would cost total, i am canadian, but a conversion price isn't necessary... i was just interested in a ball park figure... 2 grand... 3 grand... do my saleen rims and 4th year university need to wait... ?

Thanks
Doug

• Sponsors (?)

JR got very lucky to have someone do good work for that kind of price. Around here, if I paid $375, cripes even double that, if I paid $750, I still may not get someone to do quality work. I paid $900 for mine, but that was with a new back window. And no, a convertible top is nothing you can do yourself. They never look good.

Joe

me not yet on my 98. but smothing is rubbing it when i put it up and down. around the edge on the driver quater window. i wish i could figure out what cause the top is in exellent shap but that rubbing is messing it up

Chris

Caldwell, the one on my 95 "vert" seems to be fine but it might be due to the fact that it only has 5,000 miles on it. Sorry, I'm sure I'll have to face this same thing some day but I don't relish the thought of it at all!!!!! Mark :( :shrug:

My back glass started separating from the canvas on my 95, they told me it could not be fixed and the whole top and curtain would have to be replaced: $750.00 Too bad for them, a bottle of 2 part epoxy and it looks just like new again!

MV

Oh that's not bad at all... at least I know I can start looking around for some deals then... It is just making the car look a bit aged, when the rest of the car is fine. But if I won't break the bank I should be okay... you guys seriously gave me a load off my mind.
I was surprised though how much it cracked! it honestly wasn't that bad when i first bought it... I do use it often, i won't lie.
i wonder if it's just a combination of its age ('94) and that its always used.
friggin canadian weather... it's wearin out the top man!! ;)

So, for the record books, 10 years of 80,000 kilos... whatever comes first
is the shelf life of a rag top :D

I have that same prob

95STANG-GTSC said:
My back glass started separating from the canvas on my 95, they told me it could not be fixed and the whole top and curtain would have to be replaced: $750.00 Too bad for them, a bottle of 2 part epoxy and it looks just like new again!

MV

Did it separate from the top of the glass or the bottom? Mine isn't even connected at the top, which may be how it is supposed to be, and is coming off at the bottom, and I just had a new top put on, was $1000 in MN

i paid $900 for mine but that included the headliner too... if ur only replacing the top and can keep ur headliner and rear window it'll be cheaper... the labor is whats pricey but well worth it when u see how hard it is... good luck

1996COBRA said:
i paid $900 for mine but that included the headliner too... if ur only replacing the top and can keep ur headliner and rear window it'll be cheaper... the labor is whats pricey but well worth it when u see how hard it is... good luck

Oh serious, thanks for the heads up man. See I never even thought of that. My back glass window is fine, plus it's tinted right black, so I would have needed to get that done too with the new rag. But if I can just keep that.... hah man you just made my day.
My headliner's good too... just that cracking by the 1/4 window on the outside that has gotten real bad since i've purchased it.

:nice:
gettin this rag quicker than i thought.

Im actually dropping mine to be done on monday. Im paying $1125 for a new top (black), new rear defrosted rear window, and a new headliner. The person doing it is a guy who does it out of his garage and is said to do fantastic work, so Im sure it will be worth the price. Hes also refoaming my driver's side seat for $75 (said he usually charges $150). The part that gets smushed from getting in and out all the time, Im sure everyone knows what Im talking about.

mine had a new top when i bought it 3 months ago, but it doesn't fit quite right. when the top is up (a rare occurrence for me), the passengers side window hits the canvas when i close the door. it's not a big deal tho, i mean, after all, the price was right ...

other than that, i'm happy with it.