Hazard lights turning on/off by themselves??

ad8MustangGT

Founding Member
Nov 8, 2002
PA
I can't say I've ever experienced anything like this... I was helping my fiance move so while bringing some stuff out the car about 45 minutes after parking it (after an hour drive), pushed the trunk release button on my fob and when the trunk popped the hazard lights also started flashing. Thought that was weird... so I went through the normal motions, closed/reopened the trunk, locked/unlocked the doors, tried starting the car, pressing the hazard switch multiple times, played with the blinkers/headlights... nothing would make the hazards go off. Eventually, they apparently went off on their own while I was trying to figure out my next steps (had just opened the passenger door and glovebox). I was relieved they decided to turn off so I didn't think much more of it at the time and finished loading her stuff.

But... during the hour drive back home, they started doing it again on the highway (about 10-15 minutes after the first episode). Again, went through the motions of toggling switches and anything else I could think of without having to stop (figured I had already tried what I could easily do the first time)... and again, they eventually turned off on their own, maybe 5-7 minutes after starting. So now I'm concerned...

After getting home and getting the car unpacked, I left the car in the parking lot planning to check on it a little later. Well guess what? They were flashing AGAIN a couple hours later when i went back outside. ARGGGH. At this point, it was pitch black out and I didn't want my battery to be dead so I unhooked the battery and its been that way for a good 24-hours now.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm thinking either the passive alarm was in some weird confused state or maybe the relay for the flashers has gone bad?? I'm open to suggestions... the car isn't under warranty anymore so that's not an option. Ideally, I'd like to be able to start my car after work Monday without needing to have it jumped :)

Edit - This is an '06 GT BTW...

• Sponsors (?)

I can't say I've ever experienced anything like this... I was helping my fiance move so while bringing some stuff out the car about 45 minutes after parking it (after an hour drive), pushed the trunk release button on my fob and when the trunk popped the hazard lights also started flashing. Thought that was weird... so I went through the normal motions, closed/reopened the trunk, locked/unlocked the doors, tried starting the car, pressing the hazard switch multiple times, played with the blinkers/headlights... nothing would make the hazards go off. Eventually, they apparently went off on their own while I was trying to figure out my next steps (had just opened the passenger door and glovebox). I was relieved they decided to turn off so I didn't think much more of it at the time and finished loading her stuff.

But... during the hour drive back home, they started doing it again on the highway (about 10-15 minutes after the first episode). Again, went through the motions of toggling switches and anything else I could think of without having to stop (figured I had already tried what I could easily do the first time)... and again, they eventually turned off on their own, maybe 5-7 minutes after starting. So now I'm concerned...

After getting home and getting the car unpacked, I left the car in the parking lot planning to check on it a little later. Well guess what? They were flashing AGAIN a couple hours later when i went back outside. ARGGGH. At this point, it was pitch black out and I didn't want my battery to be dead so I unhooked the battery and its been that way for a good 24-hours now.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm thinking either the passive alarm was in some weird confused state or maybe the relay for the flashers has gone bad?? I'm open to suggestions... the car isn't under warranty anymore so that's not an option. Ideally, I'd like to be able to start my car after work Monday without needing to have it jumped :)

Edit - This is an '06 GT BTW...
d
Didn't see where anyone responded to this when it just happened to me on the road. My cause turned out to be the body control module being corroded due to a leak. The leak was caused by a seal in the firewall for a wire leading to the module coming loose. Water normally going to the body drains was diverted by this opening. $1653 repair bill!