header bolts backing out.

bart

May 16, 2003
tn
ive got 2 bolts that heep backing up on my headers. so about every week i get a leak. i got tired of blowing out the gaskets so i bought some of those percys dead soft aluminum ones, they work alot better, i just need to know how to go about keeping them from backing out. bout every week now i start hearing a little tick tick, tighten the bolts up and things are ok for a week or so, then i retighten. its just a constant cycle. so how do i fix this permanently? thanx for any help

• Sponsors (?)

usually they say to tighten them down and drive it around and let it cool and tighten them again and they will be fine. i had two completely come out on me...but i didnt get an exhaust leak, dont know how, but i replaced them and ran them through one heat cycle and tightened them back down and havent had a problem since. but if you do that and they keep coming out go all out and get the locking header bolts. they are a pita to put in but work like a charm

I use plain ole lock washers and mine have never came loose from day one....I got the stainless steel ones from Lowes pretty cheap. Or you could spend the money on set of stage 8 bolts, they work great, but do cost..

89MustangGX said:
I always tighten and drive a couple times -- then try to tighten them while they're still warm. Do this until they don't tighten anymore. They won't ever back out.

ok so i did this, so where i was getting maybe 1/4 turn out of the bolts when cold, i was able to turn them like 2 full rotations, and i cant hear a leak anymore, so myabe this will work. thanx guys.

bart said:
ok so i did this, so where i was getting maybe 1/4 turn out of the bolts when cold, i was able to turn them like 2 full rotations, and i cant hear a leak anymore, so myabe this will work. thanx guys.

You can check it again in a couple days -- don't wait until you hear a leak again (you probably won't). In my exoperience you won't have any more problems though.

Idwitheld-1` said:
The stage 8 locking bolt system works very well. I too had the backing out bolt problem. I tried everything (including torque, drive, re-torque sequences). But, I have not had to touch the stage 8 header bolts in 6 months now.
Get the stage 8s and be done with it.