Header leak problem with macs? Anyone had the same problem?

1990StangGT

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2002
Whiteman AFB
Ok I finally installed a set of chrome unequal 1 5/8" mac shortys with a off road prochamber and mac cat back. All the fitment is perfect but as I went to crank it up it sounds like both headers are leaking terribly, I then proceeded to uninstall and then reinstall the headers agian, I know I got the gaskets on right so wtf? Maybe could the headers be messed up? I know I got the headers on and tight but still after 2 tries of installing them still can not get it right? Has anyone had this problem with these headers? If so what exazctly was your scenario, I do not want to take it to the shop this is a darn simple install they just do not want to seem to seal? could it be the copper gaskets? Should I just get some fel pros?

• Sponsors (?)

get new gaskets. i used the felpro 1415. i had a bolt back out after i installed mine and was told the copper gaskets are not reuseable. in other words, you can only tighten them down once. my headers have been on and off several times with no problems. you could always put a straight edge across the flanges to be sure its flat.

I had the same problem with mine when I bought the car the passenger side was leaking so I got some gaskets from autozone (cheap paper kind) and it still leaked. I tried tightening, running it, retightening it and it still leaked. I finally went to pep boys and got some better gaskets, I think they are made by Mr Gasket and they haven't leaked since.

A couple of guys I know who drag race their stangs quite often had problems with headrer leaks or blwoing the gaskets out. I know they used black high heat gasket maker/sealant. They say it works, I have never tried it and I have MAC equals on mine( leak free w/ mr. gasket gaskets). But before I did that I would definetely make sure that the headers are not warped at the flanges. Good Luck

Drew