Headers and powersteering drop bracket

dsmGST91

Jun 13, 2005
Latham NY
Let me start off by saying I am incredibly unbelveibly pissed at Summit Racing. Personally I will NEVER order from them again. They seem unwilling to help, and very uninforming. I ordered a headerback exhaust last week. When it came, it didnt match up to my headers. They never told me it wouldnt fit stock headers. So I got headers overnighted to me. Went to put them on this morning, only to find out I need a stupid power steering drop bracket or something to make them fit. Again, they never told me. I am so pissed its beyond beleif. So far, it has taken me two weeks to *attempt* to get a simple full exhaust on my Mustang. Can I put the header on without the bracket? Or do I really need it?

• Sponsors (?)

depends on the headers, probably not..

you would have been better off dealing with someplace like mustangs unlimited.. they have dual kits for the stock manifolds.. you're lucky it worked with the headers, not all come out in the same location...

The headers are the cheapest ones Summit carries, their own brand. Returning them is not an option now as I have the passenger side on, and it got scratched in the process :notnice: If anyone has put headers on a 73, you will know what I'm talking about. The driver's side is going to be such an tight fit. There is the box coming off the end of the steering column, which I assume is what I need to move. There is also a bracket with a cable coming off of it, no idea what that is. I really dont see these headers fitting, I'm hoping this bracket will shed some light. :bang: :fuss:

dsmGST91 said:
Let me start off by saying I am incredibly unbelveibly pissed at Summit Racing. Personally I will NEVER order from them again. They seem unwilling to help, and very uninforming. I ordered a headerback exhaust last week. When it came, it didnt match up to my headers. They never told me it wouldnt fit stock headers. So I got headers overnighted to me. Went to put them on this morning, only to find out I need a stupid power steering drop bracket or something to make them fit. Again, they never told me. I am so pissed its beyond beleif. So far, it has taken me two weeks to *attempt* to get a simple full exhaust on my Mustang. Can I put the header on without the bracket? Or do I really need it?

Don't be mad at Summit. You were an uninformed customer. How can Summit sell an exhaust system that fits every brand of header when every brand of header has a different outlet location? What is this stock header you speak of? Cast iron manifolds maybe? A 'headerback' exhaust will not fit that because they are not headers. Nearly all long tube headers require a ps drop bracket. Its not Summits fault. You should do more research before you buy. You will be disappointed with service quite often if you don't read up and find out what you need before you order.

i have hooker long tubes on my '73. i didn't need a drop bracket but i did need to remove the power steering box to install them. once i got the headers in place but not tightened i bolted the steering box back in place. to remove the power steering box you are going to need a pitman arm puller ( >$12 at autozone) and you will need an 1 1/8 ( i think that's the correct size but i'm not sure. i'll check when i get home) socket/wrench to re-install the pitman arm. the passenger side is a breeze but the drivers side is a bitch.

302 coupe said:
Its not Summits fault. You should do more research before you buy. You will be disappointed with service quite often if you don't read up and find out what you need before you order.

I agree. It isnt Summit's responsibility to tell the customer about every little possible issue that might come up on any given application. I could have been in the same situation, but in the process of casually reading this forum, I stumbled on mention of a drop bracket. Fearing for my power steering, I did some research on the topic and found that it is nearly impossible to get sub-$400 headers that don't need a drop bracket. I also read that you should weld the bracket onto the frame because the steering ram puts enough stress on it as to elongate the bolt holes. See? A little research....

Dammit, I wish I had checked this thread earlier. I ordered the part for 15 flat from Autozone for the same exact peice, should be here within a few days. I know it may have come off as me fully blaming Summit, when in turn I know it was my fault. I do however wish they had mentioned it, either online or on the phone. Is this job going to be really hard? I'm a resonable mechanic, and will definatly be able to figure it out, but its a pretty bitchy job? Thanks for the replies.

Dude, its a piece of cake.

Remove the locknut and nut from the ram. Just make sure you check the ram arm and make sure its not corroded under the bushings, like mine was.

Then simply remove the three bolts holding the old bracket on.

Put the new one on and bolt it in place. Weld it up good and re install the ram arm and your good to go.

Its really a 20 minute job.

the drivers side is a pain just because of the lack of room. just go slow and remember to re-install the steering box BEFORE you tighten the header bolts ( advice i didn't follow intitially) and you'll do fine.

You definately want to weld that bracket! My bracket used to brake the bolts, and leave me without any assist. While that may not be a big deal normally, it is very scary when you expect to have power assist and it isn't there suddenly. Once I had it welded on I didn't have any more problems.