Headers for a 1978 Mach 1?

rkehoe99

Jun 22, 2019
MI, USA
I have a 1978 Mach 1 (302 bored .30 over) And I'm looking for some header suggestions. It has "custom" headers on it now but they press against the steering & are uneven.

My problem is it has a C6 trans which gets in the way. I cant pull it or replace it. Any ideas? I was considering shorty headers.

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

To the best of my knowledge, shorty headers won't work. Someone may have more info on that front than I do, I don't have first hand experience with it. As for any other headers, none were designed with a C6 in mind so I don't know if standard off the shelf headers would work either. If I had to guess, they would probably work just fine on the driver's side, but the passenger side may have problems going around the starter since I'm sure it's clocked in a different position than stock.

I've run the same Blackjack headers since the early 90s, so I haven't had to search for alternatives and don't even know what's available or not anymore. I do know that the Blackjacks aren't available anymore and the concensus is that they were the best fitting option for a stock automatic.

Hooker super comp from Cassic Auto Reproductions
Look very nice but almost 900$ Can probably find a non coated set cheaper some where else.
Don't think they will get along with C6

6120-1hkr_1024x1024.jpg

The only headers that would work with a C6 would be a set of Headman Swap headers all 8 Tubes go around the front Crossmember and the engine is mounted with an Engine plate mounted to the fromt of the engine!

If you have the ability to somehow fit a c6 in a mustang II (requiring a new trans tunnel among the things) then headers should be no problem to custom make. Buy a header kit and put it together the way you want it, or modify existing out of the box small block headers to fit.