Headers for a 1978 Mach 1?

rkehoe99

Jun 22, 2019
MI, USA
I have a 1978 Mach 1 (302 bored .30 over) And I'm looking for some header suggestions. It has "custom" headers on it now but they press against the steering & are uneven.

My problem is it has a C6 trans which gets in the way. I cant pull it or replace it. Any ideas? I was considering shorty headers.

Thanks!

• Sponsors(?)

LILCBRA

10 Year Member
Dec 6, 2005
Marietta, Ga
To the best of my knowledge, shorty headers won't work. Someone may have more info on that front than I do, I don't have first hand experience with it. As for any other headers, none were designed with a C6 in mind so I don't know if standard off the shelf headers would work either. If I had to guess, they would probably work just fine on the driver's side, but the passenger side may have problems going around the starter since I'm sure it's clocked in a different position than stock.

I've run the same Blackjack headers since the early 90s, so I haven't had to search for alternatives and don't even know what's available or not anymore. I do know that the Blackjacks aren't available anymore and the concensus is that they were the best fitting option for a stock automatic.

2Blue2

I partied with that dude!, um girl, um whatever...
Mar 5, 2019
Oahu
Hooker super comp from Cassic Auto Reproductions
Look very nice but almost 900$ Can probably find a non coated set cheaper some where else.
Don't think they will get along with C6

6120-1hkr_1024x1024.jpg

Stang a long

Apr 29, 2012
The only headers that would work with a C6 would be a set of Headman Swap headers all 8 Tubes go around the front Crossmember and the engine is mounted with an Engine plate mounted to the fromt of the engine!

429MII

Mar 10, 2019
British columbia Canada
If you have the ability to somehow fit a c6 in a mustang II (requiring a new trans tunnel among the things) then headers should be no problem to custom make. Buy a header kit and put it together the way you want it, or modify existing out of the box small block headers to fit.