Headers..how much difference does brand make?

whitehorse1

Jul 15, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Ok, I am finally ready to start modding my 1999 GT. I am looking to purchase a set of long tube headers, but are Kooks better than BBK or SLP? What do you guys find to be the best bang for the buck or which set gives the best results? Thanks in advance for all opinions and replies!

• Sponsors (?)

i run mac lt's, imho they are better than the bbk's. mine dont have the dimple in the passenger side header that helps to restrict the exhaust flow. i wouldn't go out and buy the kooks or slp lt's for a grand when the mac's or any other brand will do fine for a lot less. unless you are using the car to do all out racing i just couldnt see spending that much.

bbk are great headers..they have a ton of r&d behind them but like others, i dont like the pre made dimple in them either...also they hang a little low...i have mac lt's that were cheaper and probably flow just as good as the bbks...and they dont hang as low...imho mac is the best bang for the buck

Ive seen magazines like PHR that compare headers by swapping them on the same engine. Some brands make more power than others, but it's your call if you want to spend extra for a bit more power and quality.

If I had to do it over again I would go Mac instead of BBK.. only because of the clearance issues with the ground. New, taller tires has helped but if I dropped it 2 inches or so it wouldn't be good for me. Like that I got them, sucks how low they hang.

I appreciate all input. You guys are great! My car is lowered so I will take a real close look at the MAC LT's.

Any advice on X-pipe vs. H-pipe? I think I am going to get rid of my FlowMasters (tired of the standard sound) and go with a Borla catback....or maybe Magnaflow. Is there any thing I need to know here. Sorry so many questions, but I value you guys opinions.

Thanks again!

I appreciate all input. You guys are great! My car is lowered so I will take a real close look at the MAC LT's.

Any advice on X-pipe vs. H-pipe? I think I am going to get rid of my FlowMasters (tired of the standard sound) and go with a Borla catback....or maybe Magnaflow. Is there any thing I need to know here. Sorry so many questions, but I value you guys opinions.

Thanks again!

The H vs. X pipe argument comes down to sound preference.

H = deeper throatier rumble
X = higher-pitched "exotic" roar

Somebody or shop did a review on their cammed 2v about 7-8 years ago. Can't remember if it was here or on another site. They simply swapped the BBK for Mac Headers/mid pipe and gained like 7-8hp. Dyno was done on the same day.

I also remember hearing something about Mac's being true Equal length headers? Not real sure, it has been almost a decade since I dealt with headers on a 2v, besides shorties.