Headlamp Switch???

Mentat

Sep 12, 2007
Sugar Land, TX
So I'm on my third OEM headlamp switch, and all three have the same problem.

The activation point for the park lamps is inbetween the spot for the park lamps and the headlamps, and the activation point for the headlamps is in a very narrow point that I have to finagle the switch into in order to get dash lights and head lights on at the same time.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I have no blown fuses and everything else works (hazards, etc.)

• Sponsors (?)

As JR alluded to, there are a couple of possible issues. One is that the fogs load the circuit, which can shorten the life of the switch. A relay on the fogs is helpful. Some of us have put relays on all the beams so the hdlt switch is only controlling an amp or less of current.

One other thing to check is that the main light feed from the hdlt switch to the MF switch (a red/yellow wire on early aero cars) is not backing out and that the connection is solid.

Thanks for the replies.

I must add that the latest Motorcraft switch is like this out of the box, as were the previous two. If they are overloading or whatever, it is happening as soon as they are plugged in and have power.

Might be some bad switches. If you can [or do] swap it, use your meter (continuity check) before plugging the switch in.

Examine the wiring around the mulitfunction turn signal switch. The headlight wiring goes through it and is also subject to overheating and damaging the wiring and connector shells.

SEE Mustang GT Fog Light Fix to fix the problem. The stock wiring isn't up to the job and is overheating. The headlight switch & turn/multifunction switch are affected by Ford's wiring problem. Sometimes it overheats so badly that the plastic shells of the wiring connectors start to melt. This will show you how to add a relay to the fog lights to relieve the overload on the headlight wiring.

Be careful not to use bulbs rated at more than 55 watt each. Using oversize bulbs can result in overheating the wiring harness and electrical fires. Definitely do the fog light fix.

Don't like the Corral method and want to run brighter foglights?
I did mine differently, but I had to build my own wiring harness for the fog lights. This is more trouble than it is worth for most folks. I left all the wiring on the stock light switches in place and used the fog light wiring to power the relay coil. The other side of the relay coil is connected to ground. I have an inline fuse that picks up power from the battery side of the starter solenoid. It is connected to the relay contact. The other relay contact is connected to the new wiring harness I made for the fog lights.

attachment.php

The advantage of making your own fog light wiring harness is that you can run 100 watt fog light bulbs. The stock wiring harness will not use 100 watt bulbs without overloading and causing a fire.

Unless you are good at electrical wiring, have the skills and tools (crimp tool, soldering gun, heat gun for the heat shrink tubing, etc.) I recommend that you stick with the Corral method.

More interesting stuff...This is why it tends to fail...

Technical explanation of why the wiring and switches overheat.
You asked for it...

I= Current
E= Voltage
R= Resistance
W= Watts

Two 55 watt fog lamps =110 watts. Find the current in the circuit
I= W/E
110 watts/14 volts = 7.85 amps for fog lights alone.
Since the lighting circuit supplies headlights, taillights, and parking lights, etc.

56 watts 2 each GE Part # L3156 corner light 28 watts each
90 watts 2 each GE Part # 9004 headlight 45/65 watts each (low beam)
63 watts 2 each GE Part # L194 parking light 31.5 watts each
56 watts 2 each GE Part # L3157 tail light 28 watts each
265 watts Total

Total other exterior lighting current
I=W/E
265 watts/14 volts = 18.92 amps
18.92 amps other exterior lighting current
+ 7.85 amps fog light current
26.77 amps with all exterior lights and fog lights on.

The 12 gauge power feed wire to the exterior lighting switch is rated at 20 amps
6.77 amps excess current

7.85 amps used by fog lights
-6.77 amps excess current
1.08 amps to run the fog lights left if you stay within the 20 amp limit of the wire.
With 1.08 amp of current, the fog lights probably won’t produce any useable light.

Added resistance required to reduce fog light current to permissible 20 amp limit
R=E/I
14 volts/6.77 amps = 2.06 ohms
Resistor wattage
W=EI
14 volts x 6.77 amps = 94.78 watts
You would need a 2 ohm, 100 watt resistor.

Light bulb ratings from http://www.roadparts.com/catalog/section30.pdf
Radio shack resistor catalog - no matches , and no combinations that could be used to make a 100 watt, 2 Ohm resistor.
See RadioShack.com

Ohm’s law – in case you have any questions about my formulas - Ohm's Law Calculators