headlight aiming help and 9004 to 9007 questions

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so i had the zenon works 8000k kit in my fox for a while and didnt like it because the highbeams didnt do much, so if i aimed them up to see on dark backroads at night i would blind oncoming drivers, and get in trouble with the police, so i put my 9004 silverstars in.

a while ago my multifunction switch burnt out from running lows and fogs all the time, i took my fogs out, fixed that problem, and got a new multifunction switch, the 9007 bulbs are the same wattage on the high beam (65 watts) but the low beam is 10 watts higher on the 9007 bulb (9004 is 45 watts, 9007 is 55 watts) is that enough to mess up my multifunction switch again or any other stock wires, or does it really not matter as long as im not running fogs?

and yes i do know that the wires are different for the 2 bulbs

90049007.jpg

and final question, how do you aim fox headlights, is it something i can figure out when i sit down and do it, or is there a trick. they are pointed way down and i need them to come up, and my jeep has me spoiled since its just a Phillips head adjustment screw on there.

thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

Adjustment's are made by adjusting the (3) 5/32 heads on the rear of the light housings.I adjusted mine in the past,I did it on level ground and shining the lights on a wall of a building.I think I was about 20 feet away but I'm not sure

Another 10 watts wont hurt anything. I used to run those bright ass 90 watt blue bulbs that JC Whitney used to sell. Not sure if they are still sold, but I never had overheated wires with them.

Why do you want to use the 9007 bulbs? I tried swapping the bulbs from my 96 3.8 into my 92. First... and yes the wiring is different. Second, the fliaments are set up vertically.. instead of straight across. Not sure how the light would aim or if it would create hot spots. And third, I know I could not get the 9004 to fit inside my 96 headlamp housing socket. Something about the notches where it locks in are different. I don't think the 9007 will fit in the 87-93 housing socket. Unless you have modified headlamp sockets.

I don't think the 9007 will fit in the 87-93 housing socket. Unless you have modified headlamp sockets.

They won't fit. I have tried.

Had to replace the RH bulb not long ago and the guy sold me the wrong one - 9007 instead of 9004.

Took me forever to realise it wasnt me being an idiot but the wrong bulb :rolleyes:

I am sure its possible to mod the socket to fit, but honestly I dont see anyone willing spend time on doing that.

oh okay. so do you guys use silverstar ultras? or is there a brigther bulb?

i need to get mine aimed, and i have normal silverstars. is there a bulb out there thats brighter in sheer brigness, i dont care about the tint, ive heard ultras are just silverstars with more coloring in the glass around the filiment.

Silverstars arent bad, but they are a big rip if you ask me. They are a pinch brighter and have a different color temperature. The Ultras are the same brightness just a different temp. Waste of $$ IMO. I wouldnt spend $50+ on a couple bulbs. If you want brighter, either get an HID upgrade, or find a higher wattage bulb from someplace like JC or Summit. You cant get them in any store because they aren't DOT compliant. But they ARE a LOT brighter. They are only a few bucks more than standard 45W bulbs. If you go with HID's, you will need the HID headlamp housings. Don't just get an HID kit and plug the bulb w/adaptors into the stock headlamp housing. It will cause you more problems than you can believe. Cause then.. you WILL get a ticket for blinding everyone and their brother.. :p

yeah i had one of those plug and play 8k kits and i didnt like it. i was worried about blidning people, so im back to standard bulbs. if i did hids i would retro fit one, i dont like the clear headlights, i like them with the lines in them. so ill look into the brighter bulbs. can you buy an oem looking headlight with a projector setup in them or does anyone do it? i have much bigger fish to fry than make my own right now.