Headlight connector keeps melting down

Slow5.0

Feb 13, 2003
Portland, OR
Well since i installed Sylvania Cool Blue headlight bulbs from Advance auto parts , connectors starts meliting down , and problem is in black (ground" wire, did anyone know why is that
And does anyone else have same problem with this kinda lights,

BTW this lights are 100% legal

• Sponsors (?)

ive heard of some people having problems with this when running higher wattage bulbs with stock wiring. i belive some companys sell an upgraded wire kit but i have no clue as to who

I wanted a brighter bulb to aid in driving at night (lots of deer where I live). Anyways, I installed the exact same lights on my car, the drivers side caused no problems but the passenger side kept coming on and off. It was like the bulb blew, but then it would light back up again. I ended up just putting them back in the package and returning them, they really didn't make that big of a difference anyways from what I could tell. I have a feeling that your wires melting is a similar problem as to what I had, and my wires would have melted also if I left the bulbs in there.

My fatehr had a similar problem on his ram. One light blew so he bought the sylvania hyper whites (or something like that). Well we changed the good light and tested it, worked OK. Installed the second bulb and tested it. The ground wiring started burnign up.

We figured it was problem with the ground it ended up being the new bulbwas shorted internal. We put back the stocker that was working and all was well.

Chris

I have the sylvania silverstars and they are rated 10 more watts over the stock lights. I have heard if you leave them on two long they can burn up the connector since stock wasn't meant for hat kind of wattage. So far nothing has happened *knocks on wood*

94MustangGT5.0 said:
I wanted a brighter bulb to aid in driving at night (lots of deer where I live). Anyways, I installed the exact same lights on my car, the drivers side caused no problems but the passenger side kept coming on and off. It was like the bulb blew, but then it would light back up again. I ended up just putting them back in the package and returning them, they really didn't make that big of a difference anyways from what I could tell. I have a feeling that your wires melting is a similar problem as to what I had, and my wires would have melted also if I left the bulbs in there.

Just like me , i have problem with passanger side only, today i installed new connector or headlight socket how it call in AutoZone and i switch for old stock regular bulbs and i will see in a few days whats going on

Replacing the wire would mean you would need to modify the connector so it would accept the bigger gauge wire. Then you would have to run the bigger wire all the way to the main wiring harness, into the other side of the firewall to wherever it ends up.

My guess is the high current draw starts at some sort of relay, but idk for sure. Check the wiring diagrams to make sure.

The greatest improvment I saw in brightness was sanding and clearcoating my stock headlights. Man what a difference that made.
Scott

to redo it, one would need the do what Scott said about the headlight connectors but then only need to run the fatter new wire to the relay you install (which can be close to the headlights for the least voltage drop). then use the oem wire from the interior to the bulbs as a trigger for the positive relay coil.