Headlight Switch Ground

FoxbodyRob

Aug 28, 2014
I have a 1989 lx, and my main power wire and ground wire on my headlight switch came out of the connector and arced together and melted my ground wire. I have traced it back to the firewall and was wondering if anyone could tell me where it goes so I can run a new one. thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

So far so good, I ran a new ground from right under the battery where it looked like the headligt ground wire went into the headlight switch and everything works. Hopefully the rest of the melted wire in the harness hasn't damaged any other wires. Could anyone tell me what size wire I should have used for the ground I think I used 18 which looked like the size of the original ground but I'm thinking I should have used slightly thicker. Thanks everyone.

And 7991LXnSHO it was a scary feeling before I realize what had actually happrned. All I saw was white smoke, it was my fault for not unhooking my battery lol.

I was hoping a fuse or fuseable link went before you had a fire in the headlight switch or harness. The ignition switch fiasco still concerns me. I hope I have the updated design switch and a reliable brand.

Wire size and fuse size work together. The exterior lights fuse is #4 and a 15 amp fuse. That means you need 14 gauge wire,

MustangFuseBox.gif