Headlight Wiring Problem

climes

Aug 16, 2009
Des Moines Iowa
Help!
I just completed a PI head swap on a 98 GT. Everything went fine with the exception of my left front headlight and blinker.

When I turn on my lights, the left blinker indicator comes on and the bright indicator at the same time. The headlight does not come on. The passenger side is fine.

If I turn off the headlights, the left blinker works normally, but when the headlights are on, the left blinker blinks fast and the left headlight is out.

Baffled as I didn't do anything with wiring on that side.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

PS: I love the difference in the PI swap. I also installed BBK Tuned Length Headers and an Pypes off road X pipe.

• Sponsors (?)

Your described symptoms sound (read) like a classic case of a broken or accidently disconnected ground wire that is common to both the headlight and parking/turn light.
Normally, with the headlights on, power flows from the battery to the low-beam flimant, and then to ground. When the ground is missing, the current finds a path through the high-beam filament, which is why the indicator is on (perhaps dimmer than usual). The raised gound wire voltage appears as a missing or open turn signal bulb to the flasher, which flashes at a faster rate as a diagnostic.

Perhaps someone has a shop manual for you model year that shows where the left headlight ground lug is supposed to be connected.