Headlights: H4 and projector lights question

Dothang67

May 9, 2006
  • Sponsors (?)

Be careful here.. some of those auctions are claiming that it's a HID light. NOT TRUE! True HID systems need a ballast and cost more like $400 not $4. Looking at the auctions, you'll just be paying for a cheap set of fancy looking regular round lenses/bulbs.

If it was a true HID system, you wouldn't need to upgrade the factory wiring with relays etc. True HID is brighter, but it does this by being very efficient..not by using more power. HID lights typically consume 1/2 the wattage of a regular quartz/halogen bulb with the same or slightly more brightness. They are even more efficient than LED's.

The auctions you are looking at are basically "Fake HID" lights.

Thanks for the info Bottlefed, when I made a search about this in the forum I find someone telling buying real HID for $600, so I never believe these lights were HID.
But do these ones improve visibility over stock ones? because of the H4 bulb?

Dothang67 said:
Thanks for the info Bottlefed, when I made a search about this in the forum I find someone telling buying real HID for $600, so I never believe these lights were HID.
But do these ones improve visibility over stock ones? because of the H4 bulb?

Yes they would. But you may need to install a relay.

I bought mine (halogens) at a local auto parts store for only $6 each. No need to buy from ebay unless you live in the sticks.

did you bought the housing and the h4 bulb in the same place?
im going to the states this next weekend so i can check out an autozone or pepboys, but do they sell both things?

im from the northen part of Mexico, i live 3 hours south of El Paso, tx. every now and then I go to the states to get parts and buy special things which can get very expensive down here.
thanks for the info, i will try to buy something similar

I bought a pair of halogen sealed units from a local auto parts store for $15 ea, they seem better than the ones on ebay :) .
Well, I will install them this weekend, I just like to know where exactly (between which things) do I need to install de relay? I have seen a drawing, and it doesnt tells you very clearly where to put it. Thanks