Where to buy HIDs? And What Temperature?

sneaky98gt

10 Year Member
Apr 23, 2008
NC State University
So, my dad is getting me a new set of headlights from AM (seen here: Chrome Mustang Cobra Style Headlights (94-98) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!) for Christmas. While at it, we're gonna go ahead and get new bulbs, and we decided to go ahead all the way and get HIDs as well. Gonna to go for a dual beam regardless of where we get them from.

We were wondering where the best place to get them from would be.

Option 1: American Muscle has a kit for $230 (HID Dual Beam Headlight Conversion Kit for 94-04 Mustang (9007 Bulb) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!), but it's only offered in an 8000k temperature. However, being from AM, I'm sure the quality is top notch, but that comes at a pretty penny.

Option 2: Dealtime321 on Ebay. Their kit is $65 right now (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HB2-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories). Their reviews are pretty good (98.3% positive), and I've personally heard a few people recommend them, saleen2001gt being one of them highly recommending them.

Option 3: DDM Tuning. Found here: (HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning) I'm not exactly sure of the pricing. They say that they sell hi-low beam kits, but I can't find them anywhere on the site. They come with a lifetime warranty. I know I've heard stprorolla49 recommend them several times. Maybe he can help me out here.

Option 4: Someone else that I don't know about but you do. All recommendations welcome.

Also, I'm torn between 6000k and 8000k temperatures. I like a slightly bluish tint, but I'm worried that 8000k may be too much, or 6000k may be too little. From what it looks like to me, the 6000k does a better job at lighting up the road, so that's kind of what I'm leaning towards.

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

Ebay all the way!!! All the kits are pretty much the same that you find online. AM just marks theirs way up cause it comes with the pretty carrying case.

Its funny how local shops around here have kits for $90, when you can get them on ebay for $35 shipped.

VVME .com

I found them through searching here. lots of guys here have got them. surprised no one posted that yet.

They are hi/low beam and very inexpensive. Had mine for a couple years now with no problems. and at this point if I did have problems I would buy the same kit over. they are great.

also 5 or 6k is best. higher than that too blue. I have 5k and it so bright its crazy.

just make sure the ballast's are buttoned down tight. if they are loose and rattle around that will cause problems. (I have had them on bikes with problems, not VVME though)

Whatever you do, DON'T get VVME!!! All of you who have them with no issues consider yourself lucky. I've had FOUR friends in the last 2 years buy kits direct from VVME and they have all been complete ****. Not only that but their customer service is terrible, and they made my friends buy new parts to fix the kits even though they have a lifetime warrantee because they said my friends messed it up themselves.

Go with DDM Tuning! I have their headlight kit as well as their foglight kit in 6000k for both sets. I've had them for almost 2 years with no problems. My 4 friends who had the VVMW kits all bought DDM kits and have had them ever since with no problems.

Again, VVME might have been better in the past, but currently they suck:notnice:

I just ordered the AM tonight with what I think is a good deal for them. Less than 200 for something that normalls costs 275 I think without their special right now.

I have the ones from realtime on eBay. I got the 5k and they have a hint of blue in them. I like them overall but they kin of flicker a little bit. It's like the lights are moving up and down a little bit. I have a friend that got fogs from hidextra.com and they look pretty good. I think I am going to do the same for my fogs. They are 60 shipped I think I think there are some coupon codes out there. There are some really long review posts if you just google hidextra coupon they are on clublexus and a 350z forum. Hope this helps...

Go with DDM, the high/low kit is like $55 shipped, you can pick any temp you want (6k's are purdy) and they have the lifetime warranty as you mentioned. I bought mine 8 months ago and a bulb just went out about a week ago. I contacted them and they have excellent customer service and genuinely sound like they want my car to be blinding people on the road again as soon as possible.

I know other people with this same kit and they have had absolutely no problems, as well as a few people on this forum claiming dozens of kits with no problems. I'd go with them if I were you.

Ok, I'm relatively set on the DDM ones. I now see that I select the hi-low kit in the bulb selection drop-down box. Just a couple more questions.

Do I need the "HID Harness"?

Do I need "Error Eliminator"?

And finally, is this kit plug and play or do I need to plan on doing some wiring?

Honestly, ebay or ddm tuning is your best bet, AM price is outragous for an hid kit....I have had my hid kit for 2 years now, bought it on ebay....has a lifetime warranty and have had no issues....I would suggest you order one that carries the lifetime warranty, that way you win either way. All these expensive kits usually come with a pretty case with a bunch of junk to make you think it is somehow better than other kits.

As far as what temperature to get I would suggest 6k it has a slight hint of blue but is mostly pure white....8k is about as far up as I would go because the higher you go up in temperature the worst you actual light output will be, in other words it will be more blue and put out less pure light than 6k or 5k.

Oh and trust me it's easy as hell to install, don't even fret on that...Once you have the kit you will see how to install it...takes maybe 3 minutes per side once you remove the headlights from the car.

Yea, I'm more or less set on the DDM Tuning ones. Everyone has good things to say about DDM and the Ebay ones, but the DDM tuning ones are a little cheaper and have a lifetime warranty instead of just two years.

I'm also going to get the 6000k temperature. I've looked at a lot of pictures and the 6000k is about tied with the 8000k as far as looks go with me, but everyone says the 6000k puts off more visible light. So that's what I'm going to go with.

One final question, what's the difference in this kit and this kit, other than the size and price? Is there either that is better or better for our specific cars?

Thanks Stangnet! You guys are awesome.