Headlights

INDSKYS

May 24, 2003
CALIFORNIA
What Are The Brightest Long Reaching Headlights Available For Classics That Are Street Legal ?.the Originals Just Dont Cut It Hate Outdriving The Lights On Country Roads With Animals On The Prowl.

• Sponsors (?)

We just got some silver stars for the Mach. Haven't put them in yet (since it's got no motor or tranny, it's kinda pointless, lol), but we do have them in our truck. They are more white, kinda like daylight. They take a bit to get used to (and you get the old "highbeam flash-aka your highs are on" alot), but they are MUCH better than the normal lights!

electricgreen said:
We just got some silver stars for the Mach. Haven't put them in yet (since it's got no motor or tranny, it's kinda pointless, lol), but we do have them in our truck. They are more white, kinda like daylight. They take a bit to get used to (and you get the old "highbeam flash-aka your highs are on" alot), but they are MUCH better than the normal lights!

I love that high-beam flash, after they do that, you flash yours to show that you're actually NOT in high beam, cracks me up to think what they must be thinking when that happens.

I bought this set on Ebay, they were pretty cheap ~$50. They have that nice clear lense for the housing, and use modern replacable bulbs...which can allow you to run the real bright ones. They look a lot better during the day on the car and at night they give off a nice bright white light.

coolblue65 said:
I bought this set on Ebay, they were pretty cheap ~$50. They have that nice clear lense for the housing, and use modern replacable bulbs...which can allow you to run the real bright ones. They look a lot better during the day on the car and at night they give off a nice bright white light.
Do you know who makes those?

Yeah Lol That Would Help. I Dont Know What An Hid Is Either .i Know U Can Get Replacement Bulbs But. I Am Looking For A Brand Name Of Lens And Where To Buy Would Help Also I See Tri Bars Which Im Assuming Are All For Looks N Not Performance .and Some Xenon Things. If I Could Get Brand Names Of Lenses Which Are Well Designed That Would Be Great .

HID is sort of a generic term, it means High Intensity Discharge, they coulda just called em "bright" but the marketeers would not have been so happy with themselves.

The tri-bars are for looks and performance but my wallet aint that fat :D

I think "Xenon" is just the kind of gas inside the bulbs, same as halogen (meaning the kind of gas).

Make good and sure that whichever lights you buy are DOT approved. This takes in lamp wattage/intensity, and beam pattern. Each state is unique, so check with your local authorities.

High Intensity Discharge headlights are definitely the trend of the future, they create very little heat, draw very little power, and produce a very high lumenesence light. However, they are extremely cost prohibitive, and given the *ahem* frugal nature of most folks, just not a viable option right now. Yes, I know the cost is going down, but I would wait, there are still some issues to be resolved with them, and indeed the cheap ones will tell you in very fine print that they are not approved for highway use, so basically you have a worthless turd at that point. Yes, cops will nail you for it, they are doing it here.

I did an H4 conversion on my Bronco, and I like it really well. I used the Hella lamp assembly, which comes with a new reflector (DOT approved, and the bulk of the cost) and 55/60w bulbs. These are still an halogen lamp, but there are xenon and other 'rice' light colors available. None of the sealed beams I have run across have such a good beam pattern, and to me that is a big consideration.

I got my Hellas at 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers, but I am sure that one of your favorite hot rod suppliers might carry them also. I paid $35 each, and with tax and everything I had about $75 in the lights, another $25 or so from the parts store for a fuse and relays, some wire and you are at ~ $100 total. When you install them be SURE to upgrade your wiring, and add a relay to isolate the power from the factory harness, and it will improve your light output tremendously. Here is a good article explaining how to wire them up, I know, it's not a Mustang, but still a Blue Oval...
http://home.comcast.net/~galenwea/head_light_upgrade.htm

Take your time and do this right the first time. Remember that your car is your pride and joy, and that many car fires are caused by shotty wiring done by lazy people. Take pride in your work.

I had a HID conversion from god father customs. It was a great upgrade but it cost is pretty high. I run phillips rally bulbs in my truck and they are super bright. I was running the 100 watt bults but had to bring them back down to 70 watts because on comming traffic was beeing blinded. Im going to use the 100's in my car since it does not set so high and is below most drivers direct line of sight.

Don't get too hung up on finding DOT-approved lamp assemblies. Canada has long accepted either the U.S. DOT specifications or the (better) E-Code lamps as used in Europe. Some U.S. states now permit the same thing, and in truth, very few jurisdictions ever looked closely enough at anyone's headlights to tell whether or not the "DOT" lettering was there, or the three "aiming bumps" which also identify DOT-spec bulbs or lamps. The Hella E-Code lamps are just plain better than the DOT-approved "Vision Plus" line by that same manufacturer. Even better than the Hellas are the Cibie and Marchal lamps - but those are much tougher to find. Even with stock wattage H4 halogen bulbs, the reflector design used in E-Code lamps delivers a better beam pattern - and if your wiring is up to the task, overwattage bulbs are handled with ease.

Some people like the HID systems, but they seem needlessly expensive for retrofit applications at this time. Check out www.rallylights.com for the E-Code Hellas - and look into upgrading the alternator to a higher output unit. Investigate using relays to take the battery voltage and send it straight to the headlamps; just doing that will improve the light output - even with sealed beams.

Here's the url of an automotive lighting message board which should be of assistance: http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/216460?it=16

Good luck with your project.