Hearing a ticking noise?

rbonella

Dec 15, 2008
@ home
A little concerned, warmed up my 88 gt on a rare 50 degree day in nebraska (in Jan>) and noticed a ticking nose coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It was not coming from the valve covers or headers as far as I know, but a little hard to pin point. The ticking was spot on with the cam if that makes sense. I have a b303, so its a little rough idling. I don't know if I was hearing a spark plug wire ticking? I also have a MSD 6AL box on the passenger side covering the factory hole from the original air silencer...that might be it I don't know. The sound was surely coming from that area. Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, some peace of mind I guess. Any insight?

• Sponsors (?)

Possible causes:
Bad sprak plug wire - you'll find a rough idle with this as the source of the noise.

Misadjusted rocker arm: use a big screwdriver as a stethoscope, put the handle in your ear and the blade on the rocker cover.

Leaking exhaust at the head and exhaust header flange joint. Very common source of ticking noises in 5.0 Mustangs.

If you don't have an automotive stethoscope, buy one next time the auto parts place has a sale on them.

This one is from Harbor Freight - $5 plus shipping...
41966.gif

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

i have a 89 GT and i live i TN and recentley its been cold here, anyways i was drivin one day just left school and took my gf home about 10 minutes away, i got on it leavin her house and later noticed a tickng sound, i havent drove it since and ive tore it down, i took the rocker arms off and took the push rods out and when i turn it over you till here it knocking so that eliminates valves or lifters and i have no clue what else it could be and its a tick not a knock