Heddman header exhaust leak... how to get rid of it?

• Sponsors (?)

SadbutTrue said:
My heddmans have that annoying clicking leak at the flanges, which I remember several other people having. I also remember a few of them fixing it, but I don't remember how... anyone?
First get some decent gaskets, the fibrous ones that come with them leave some to be desired. Get some of the soft aluminum or copper ones (several different manufacturers). Second, replace the low grade nuts and bolts with some grade 8 and for extra insurance I used lockwashers and nyloc nuts. I go offroading pretty often and haven't had a leak in ages.

Don't waste your money on the dead soft aluminum or copper, they seal the first time but not the second. Just spend the $15 at autozone for the mr gasket. If that STILL doesn't work, take them off and cut all the flanges before you scrap them. This makes it so when you tighten the primary, you can do them individually. Then if another one leaks later down the road, you cut up another gasket and do only one primary instead of replacing them all.

Thats how I do my headers also. I Cut the mounting flanges between every tube. I also use studs not bolts. You can buy studs from anywhere and they work alot better than bolts. I had a pair of hookers on my 62 ss that would not stop leaking. So i took some flat metal and traced the gasket onto it and cut it out and installed it between the gasket and flange to give the flange more compression on the gasket. Stopped all my leaks.