HEI or Duraspark?

• Sponsors (?)

Duraspark can be used with an aftermarket coil and distributor and will work pretty well. My buddy had some problems with his HEI setup, even with aftermarket parts.

You can even have a combination of the two, check it out.
DuraSpark dizzy + GM module

In my case, I run a Comp9000 Unilite Mallory distributor, very reliable + replacement modules are not that expensive, they will last for 5 yrs, empirically proven. I've had mine for 13 yrs., daily driver for 11 yrs., 2 module failures 5yrs. apart from each....the one installed still have 2 more yrs of service (lol). No noise/spike supression filters installed either...one should help it last some more. GL

yeah i did the hei conversion. it's better than duraspark. you can use aftermarket coils and modules as well so scratch that. or you can opt for a stock tfi coil which is pretty potent as is. i have no problems. usually stock is better than aftermarket when it comes to ignition and reliability

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I also have an problem with the older dist not matching up properly Its a 1990 roler engine and from what I understand the gears are diferant. But I cant seam to find the gear I need for this late 80's that will be compatible with an E303 cam. Any ideas? Thanks

I have tried to get a gear at the parts store and the gear they keep getting me is to big to fit the shaft. So what do I need to have them look up? I tell them the year of the dist and what it came out of and they still get me the wrong one. Unless I have the year wrong on the dist, but I wouldnt think that they would be dif. Or should I just say the hell with it and just go with the HEI sence they say its compatible with this cam? Why is the HEI not a trustworthy setup. What keeps going bad on them? Thanks guys

I would use the Duraspark. I have only had 2 possible failures in 30 years of owning Fords. One of those failures was probably the Jacobs CDI box.

The other Duraspark failed hot, but would cool and drive home.

Every HEI I have owned, about 3 or 4, has just quit dead in the middle of the road on me.