Hello from San Jose NorCal

ILLEGAL GARAGE

Jul 21, 2008
I just bought a 67 Coupe thought i would use it as a daily driver.
I am somewhat retired, so I dont drive much.
Just to the post office and to the parts store more or less.
This car need so much work I am not sure where to begin.

well here is a pic I took the other day

Max

DSC01312.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The good first I guess

This car has a 93 Cobra Engine
It has been switched to Carb (holly 650)
It has the serpintine belt setup
New becool radiator w/ e fan
Ford Racing Clutch
T5 Trans
5 lug 9 Inch rear axle
Front disks
New front and rear seats
New front and rear glass
New headliner
New dash panels
Cobra R rims

The bad

Manual brakes
Manual steering
No Blinkers
No Back up lamps
Left Head light is dim
Right door glass ( 3 pieces) is not installed, I think there are parts missing
Door handles I think is missing parts

Over all the car feels really sloppy

O well hopefully I will get most of the problems fixed in the next week or so

Max

really max, it sound like you've got you work cut out for you....It could need a heck of a lot more than that!!!

back up lights- in the neutral safety switch on the transmission. Ohm out the switch and if both the neutral and back up parts of the switch work, its in the wires. BEFORE you go and tear them all out tho.....make sure both of your bulbs are good :D (i know this from experience :bang: )

headlights- You should probally just go and get two new bulbs anyway, start off fresh.

blinkers- could be a couple of things....1) in the switch behind the steering wheel 2) wiring (again, check bulbs) 3) improper ground, connections.

I had my in-hood turn indicators not work b/c the ground was not good enough...

with all this electrical, check fueses, connnections, bulbs etc. first.

I don't know if you have any mustang restoration junkyards or stores anywhere near (you should, cali is crawling with stangs)

if so: It shouldn't be too hard to get a vacume booster for the brakes....

and now the steering......

you said its sloppy all over, the best thing to do would be to take it to a shop, align it, check the tie rod ends, all that good stuff. Or do it yourself, I guess you never mentioned what kind of car experience you have??

and then for power steering, I'm not quite sure with your serpentine setup what you need to do, but baisically all it is is a PS pump and a hydraulic ram, rod ends for it etc.

again, if you have a shop nearby, your much better off.

but what about you???!!! any past car experience, for all i know, you could be Jack Roush under a different screen name!

ps. the tech section is crawling with help, and knowlegeable fellas, posting there might wield more results.

happy to help!

-john

Sounds like you should also replace the wiring harness; is there any major rust on the body? floorplans? I know it's probably a cali car but its always good to check.
How about a rear bumper? Drip rail moldings, i can't tell if u have front and rear windsheild molding; Side/ rear view mirrors?
How's all the gauges? do they work?
a/c heat? It can get pretty cold up there at times, you should check the heater core for signs of wear and tear. A heater core is an easy fix.

As for turn signals, first check bulbs if they're fine, then check if the fixtures are receiving voltage, (sometimes the fixtures also rust out and contacts go bad) if not trace the wires back and if there's no snag you should think of replacing the turn signal switch they tend to fail as time goes on.

If you plan on doing the work yourself, i'd suggest investing in a 67 mustang shop manual, it helps quite a bit and is pretty thorough.

There should be tons of parts stores up in northern cali; Mustangsplus is up there, and i believe so is mustangsunlimited.

Anyways, Welcome to stangnet!

I used to do elcetronics in the Navy.
Mostly Navi and Comm systems
I made E5 in 3 years, but my career ended earl due to a near fatal car accident.

While I was stationed in the stix of Northern Japan is when I really got turned onto cars. This was in the mid 90's. A bunch of the guys in the barracks used to go to the street races and I started to tag along.
The runs were cool but drifting really appealed to me.
So I got a basic idea of how cars worked from hanging around those guys.

When I moved back to San Jose in 2001 is when I started to take cars a part and put them back together.

So I have been working on Nissans and Toyota's for about 10 years or so as a hobby.

I can build engines, setup a rear diffrential, about the only thing I can not do properly is rebuild transmissions.

I never tried to mount and balance a tire but I am sure I could figure it out.
I have done allginments with a tape measurer LOL
I never tried to do any body work, other than spray painting parts here and there.

I taught my self how to mig weld about 4 years ago.
I have been teaching my self to TiG weld the last few months
But it is not something I do every day so I would still consider myself a beginner.

The last 2 years I have been taking CNC and CAD classes at my local J.C.
So I have designed and built some of my own parts.
Nothing complicated just spacers and washers and simple brackets.

Max

The back up lamps were missing so I put new ones in
They plug into the tail lamp harness
So I guess I will have to run the wires down

Head lamps I put 2 new bulbs, but only the left is dim

I put a new switch assembly in the columb
I put new bulbs and lenses on the front blinkers
Yea the fuses are jacked up from the last owner, maybe have to redo the undash harness. But I dont want to spend 600 bucks UGH

The booster my buddy was telling me even with a fox body booster the brakes are still not that good.

There is a few mustang shops in the area, but I take thier advice with a grain of salt. Some people ar estill stuck back in 60's technology.

I have a PS pump but the car has the original manual setup
A power setup would be nice but I can deal with it for the time being.

Max

The car has no rust
a few small dents here and there but nothing to serious

The guy who I bought the car from was supposed to give me some bumpers but I have not heard back from him yet.

I am not sure what a drip rail molding is

Window moldings I didn't check on
mirrors I have on order, the old ones were crusty

Gauges are aftermarket, I am going to have to redo them since only the tach works

it has a heater but the switches are not hooked up
I am not a big AC guy I can live with out it

for the shop manual is there a pdf online?
Seems kinda a waste of 70 bucks or so since I can figure just about everything out my self
Just need it for the wiring more or less

One of the local shops is run by 2 brothers
They seem to be super nice.
I will go and talk to them tomorrow to get some insight.
I would really like to be able to drive the car at night
So fixing the wiring is going to be job 1 for now

Max

My .02
Shop manual: I bought the pdf version of the shop manual on cd for 20$. I got it from National Parts Depot, and the scan quality is really good. Diagrams for wiring u can find online

As for wiring, if your not looking to keep it all original i'd go for a generic harness like ez wiring's mini harnesses. I bought mine for 120$ and have plenty of wires left over to customize, e.g. power windows, locks, alarm. It does require a little more work to crimp all the terminal endings but thats about it.

Check the grounds for the headlights and turn signals up in front same with the back up lights, you have to make a connection to the frame rails or some part of the body, they can do that if they're not good. (just sayn cause i did that happened to me recently)

As for electrical diagrams type in classic mustang wiring diagram into google and they should come up; here's one for you
Vintage Mustang Wiring Diagrams

Drip rails are above the side windows above the door on the top section of the car, i see its chrome but i'm not sure if its broken or just painted black.

Mirrors: did u order the bullets or the regulars? cause for me the bullets are just decorations, not much practical use =\ they're way too small.

Hooking up the switches are simple you might need the retainers if the p.o. lost em.
Mustangs Plus :: Heater & Defroster :: Heater Control Cables :: 1965-68 Heater Cable Clamp Retainer

The Ez kit is available on ebay here and there, i ordered it from a local parts shop.

The difference between painless and EZ wiring is that Painless comes with all the terminals crimped and everything done for you; it's practically drop in. Depending on which painless harness you get. Quality wise they're both the same in my book.
My EZ wire harness is perfectly fine.

EZ wiring requires a little more legwork to finish. You have to crimp more and add terminals. It's not that big of a deal, i had no wiring experience before and i did it.
Painless, again is much more expensive, so it really comes down to what you're comfortable with. Use the search option in the tech section, the painless/ Ez wire debate goes on quite often.

I talked to Mitch at Mustang Fever, one of the local shops.
He took a look at the car real quick and went over some of the wiring problems with me.
they are not as serious as I was thinking.
So tomorrow I should get all the wiring fixed on my own.

Mustang Ranch said they had a trick setup to inprove the manual brakes.
I think I am going to give tyhat a try since it is well under $200 bucks for the parts.

This Saturday Mitch said he would check out my steering at his shop, hopefully I can get all that sorted out this weekend as well.

Hopefully I will have some good news in the next few days.

Max