Helmet poll -- which one do you use?

Bell
Also I didnt get an M rated helmet... I figured their must be a reason that an SA rated helmet cost more..So I just spent the little extra to get something that will actually protect me in an accident.

-Dallas J
 
x_supbandit.jpg


http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com
 
I'm watching the clearance section with Bell -- they have brand new helmets with blems -- orange peel paint, or paint too thin, chips, etc. And they have a nice discount. Not like I really care how pretty it is, just that it'll keep my head intact.

Now the biggest decision I have left is whether to go with open face or full face. Obviously the full face would seem to offer more protection, but the open face looks like it would be more comfortable (the one I use now is a full face motorcycle helmet, and it gets awful stuffy inside when you're waiting in line).

Dave
 
GreenMustangGt said:
my track requires a snell 90 or above. is that rated liek that on ebay?
There are a couple of versions of the Snell rating. My track accepts M2000 (M is for motorcycle) and if I remember correctly, SA95 and above. SA is for special application, in this case automotive racing. An SA rated helmet has nomex on the inside to resist fire, and is rated to withstand multiple medium impacts with the inside of a car (as opposed to a motorcycle helmet, which is designed more along the lines of one big impact). And an SA2000 rated helmet costs at least half again as much as an M2000 helmet.

But this is my head. It may not seem important now, but if something really bad happens at the track and I need the helmet, it's going to be priceless. I've had a helmet save my life before, they do have their moments.

Dave
 
HairyCanary said:
But this is my head. It may not seem important now, but if something really bad happens at the track and I need the helmet, it's going to be priceless. I've had a helmet save my life before, they do have their moments.

Amen. $10 helmet = $10 head. I'll gladly spend a few hundred dollars every few years for a piece of safety equipment I'll (hopefully) never use just for the peace of mind that it'll do it's job when needed.
 
89MustangGX said:
I have a Simpson SA2000 rated open faced helmet. It's all carbon fiber I believe -- very light and easy to wear. Was pretty inexpensive from Summit.
That is the one I was looking at too.

Actually, I like pretty much all open face helmets. I'm not a fan of the full face jobbers.

Joe
 
I too use'd a dirtbike bucket, well until I busted the #ell outa it when I broke 3 vertabra in a wreck (landed on my head), will prob. get another as I know some local shops that sell them cheap. That or get a open face one (bell from summit or whatever) as it did get to be a PITA getting that full face job on and off in the car.

as far as the coment about wishing he needed a helmet, well anytime you race you should need a helmet, I am sure anything over 5-10mph will make you wish you had one. I am not a freak about helmets but if you got one wear it.
 
blksn955.o said:
as far as the coment about wishing he needed a helmet, well anytime you race you should need a helmet, I am sure anything over 5-10mph will make you wish you had one. I am not a freak about helmets but if you got one wear it.
Yes! It's not if you got one, then wear it. It's if you don't have one, get one, and wear it.

If I ever became a higher up in the NHRA or some other big time drag racing sanctioning body, I'd push for a helmet all the time, not after a certain time. It's stupid not to wear one.

I could pull the ass end of my car around before the H/C/I swap, so it'd be just as easy for me to smack the wall when my car was a 14 second car than it is now.

Joe
 
Bell Sport3 here. Look at the Bell's sizing guide and if you can, go to at least a motorcycle shop and get some sizing help. You might think that you wear a size larger than you SHOULD wear. I was ready to buy a Large and the guy at the speed shop informed me that it was too big. The padding in the helmet will start to "mould" to your head over time so you're supposed to get them pretty snug. If you get one that's too loose, it won't do this.

Pyrotect and G-Force also make some nice less expensive SA2000 helmets. I say go SA all the way, I spent the extra $$ for the added security.