HELP! Anyone near Ft. Lewis!?

Thegiecks

Jun 12, 2006
I have just moved to Ft. Lewis and am in dire need of help from anyone with Stang knowledge. I just purchased a 90 LX with a 302 in it, but not running. i believe I have everything to get it going, but im not a guru. The guy I bought it from said it shouldnt take more than a day or 2 of solid work to get it purring. Please help me. I need this car running ASAP. I will buy all the "cold ones" you want, and provide a BBQ as well. Please drop me a reply, or you can e-mail me or call me at:
[email protected]
(915) 471-3973

Will
AKA
BEEFY
:SNSign:
:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Thegiecks said:
I have just moved to Ft. Lewis and am in dire need of help from anyone with Stang knowledge. I just purchased a 90 LX with a 302 in it, but not running. i believe I have everything to get it going, but im not a guru. The guy I bought it from said it shouldnt take more than a day or 2 of solid work to get it purring. Please help me. I need this car running ASAP. I will buy all the "cold ones" you want, and provide a BBQ as well. Please drop me a reply, or you can e-mail me or call me at:
[email protected]
(915) 471-3973

Will
AKA
BEEFY
:shrug:

What is the matter with it? Tell us what you know.

The Situation

Well, where to begin... I just bought it 2 days ago. The interior is complete, except the steering colemn is torn apart. The motor and trans are installed. There is a lower intake manifold and carb on it. I have no idea if the drive shaft is installed. i cant get under the car. Started is installed, heads are there too. The valve covers are in the back, but they are there, and i believe I saw new gaskets for them on the floor board. Nothing except the water pump and lower crank pulley is installed on the front of the motor. The radiator and everything in front of the engine inside the engine bay is not installed. I dont think the wiring is installed at all. I saw a harness in the back too, so I think that is it. I saw a computer I think. I DO NOT HAVE KEYS FOR THE CAR YET, so I cant really get back in the back and get a good look at EVERYTHING that is there. He said he was going to try and get them back from someone, i guess there was a mix up along the line of him selling one of his other stangs.

I was told everything is there that needs to be, and that i just need to put it back together. It is currently at the guys house off of exit 38th st. E in S. Tacoma. Which is 10 miles away from post. i just need to get it to the auto hoppy shop to work on it, unless someone would be gracious enough to allow me to work on it at their house or garage or somewhere. I have another 302 that is EFI w/ AOD tranny and everthing that i need to convert if I want too. The only problem is that it is in military storage ( i.e. i just moved here and am currently staying with a family member in Buckley).

Someone please let me know if you can help me out.

Will
AKA
BEEFY
(915) 471-3973

Wow sounds like you got a helluva project there. It's a 90 LX with a carby setup right? The eaiest thing to do would be to put your EFI engine in there. To go carb there are a billion little things to change. I know because I did it on my Bronco. I wish I hadn't, now I am gonna go back to EFI. If you are stuck with the carb, then you should change the fuel tank to a pre-EFI tank. You will have to chase down lots of wires to remove the ones that pertain to the EFI, while keeping the ones for the gauges and such. Then you will have to rig up a carb fuel system and ignition, so be on the lookout for a duraspark dizzy, module and harness. The exhaust should all be the same as an EFI car. Make sure that the water pump matches your application. water pumps for serpentine installations are of the reverse-rotation variety, v-belt are standard.

Oy. You have alot of work on your hands.

Work work and more work!

Stock5.0LX: Yes it is red, howd you know? I got it from Tyler.

98Snakebite: And when you say i should go back to EFI, it alrady has the carb on it, which is a Carter AFB Competition Seris ( although i dont know a difference between a 2 or 4 bbl carb) and he said it was running the way it sits, minus the stuff he took off. I would like to try and get it at least cranking and started before i might want to take on a challenge like swaping to EFI. If you guys think it would be easier to go straight to EFI than try to at least get it it running, then im with you, but thats just my opinion.

I appreciate your guys' input on this, I hope we can meet up sometime, and maybe I can fill you guys in a little more.

Will
AKA
BEEFY
(915) 471-3973

Oh so true

actually i was looking on craigslist... close enough:bang:

Also, 98Snakebite, I picked up a used 351W longblock from the same guy, can i swap parts between that and the 302?

thats the one!! the funny thing is, he said the day after i paid him a kid came to his house saying he had been trying to talk to him about it for about 3 weeks... he said to tell me he will buy it for 100 more than i paid for it...
NO DEAL!!

Stangler: oh yeah I remember that one.

Thegieks: a 90 originally was EFI. I meant you could literally plug in all the stock harnesses and make it run if you had an efi motor. A Carter AFB is a good carb for the street, and it is a 4 barrel. If the guy truly had it running the way that it is, then you need to do some investigating as to which parts are actually installed on the car. If it has been all swapped to carb parts, then it should be a snap to get it going. (Well, relatively speaking...)

if I remeber corectly it was a 4cly car that had a 302 of unknown lineage thrown into it, so I am guessing its going to be a lot easier to run carb. I would do a good look through to see what everything is. I am guessing your going to need a fair amout of stuff

have fun

well i took a look at the motor to get a good idea of what was missing... I noticed right off, the valve covers, everything from the front of the motor minus the water pump and crank pulley, radiator, there are just a bunch of plugs lying around. There are a few hard lines that he said went to the A/C stuff up front. When i looked in the trunk area, there was: the radiator, valve covers w/ i think a new set of gaskets for them, the alternator, a wiring harness, a yellow thing which i think is like a coil or something (looks aftermaket for sure) an ECU, plug wires, a dist. cap, and whole bunch of just odds and ends which im sure go somewhere.

do any of you guys have or know someone with a flatbed or tow dolly who would be willing to help me out for an hour or so? I would be willing to compensate them, say $40 for gas? Please ask around, the tow trucks around here want about 70-110 just from exit 38th st E. to ft lewis... that rediculous

Thegiecks said:
actually i was looking on craigslist... close enough:bang:

Also, 98Snakebite, I picked up a used 351W longblock from the same guy, can i swap parts between that and the 302?

The 351 can be dropped in and boltedup just fine as long as you get swap headers for the 351, and a 351W intake manifold. See, the 351 has a taller deck height than a 302 thus making it taller and wider than the 302. It also gives it a great rod-to-stroke ratio, but that is beside the point. because of the taller deck height the heads are essentially farther apart, hence the wider intake. Other things like timing chains, water pumps, heads, rockers, oil pans, timing covers, starters, flywheels, distributors etc. will interchange. Cams will interchange, but non HO 302s have a different firing order on the camshaft than the the later 5.0s. the HO later 5.0s have the same firing order as all years of 351s. So the moral of the story is make sure that the firing order on the dizzy matches the firing order of the cam. The pushrods are different lengths and cannot be interchanged.

If you are interested I have a holley street dominator for a 351 that may be coming off my bronco soon.:nice:

well... how much are you asking? im kinda tight on the pocket due to moving into a new place. your probablly not interested, but i have the 2 302 motors for spare parts to trade. Maybe we can come to agreement somewhere, who knows.