Help: Battery Problems

Chris-90GT

Jun 24, 2008
I recently bought a 93 GT. The car runs fine (when the battery is charged) but there seems to be some type of wiring problem. When I drove it home, I tried to use the high beams and the lights completely shut off. I pulled over and messed with them and now the high beams will work but the low beams will not. That's wiring problem number one.

My bigger problem is I can't keep my battery charged. The old battery was bad, when I got it tested so I bought a new battery. Still had problems keeping it charged so I tried the alternator. When I removed the alternator, one of the harness connectors was corroded pretty bad where it was almost falling off the alternator. So, I replaced the alternator. Car started right up. Went out the next morning, the car started right up. But after about 4 or 5 days without trying to start it, I went out and tried and the battery was completely dead... wouldn't make a sound when trying to start the car.

Seems like something is draining the juice out of the battery when the car is not running. Anybody had wiring problems that might be able to help?

• Sponsors (?)

For your battery, make sure all lights are off. This includes glove-box lighting, underhood lighting, etc. Then use your DMM to check for parasitic draw.

For your lighting, check the multi-function switch connector.

Good luck.