Help build my dream car

500hp+

Jan 12, 2012
Hello all I'm new to the site. I've always been a 5.0 lover since I was 5 . So long story short I will be purchasing my 1st mustang preferably a notch body for my 25th birthday and I will like to do it right. I will like to reach a HP goal of 480-550hp what is the best set-up for my goal??. I know I can buy a already build pushing 500hp but I will like to put my own work into my dream. My spending limit is 11k.

Thank for all your advice in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Is your spending limit $11k including the price of the car? Do you want to do this n/a or forced induction? 500rwhp is within the limits of the stock block. Your transmission won't hold up long at that power. Your fuel system will be tapped out as well. I may suggest that you build yourself a nice 331 or 347 n/a setup, which will yield 400+ rwhp with the right components. Once you can afford to take the plunge into the 500+ range with all the required supporting modifications, throw some kind of forced induction at the setup. Even a low compression (9.3ish:1) 331 can make serious power and will handle a blower or turbo in the future with no problem.

I really will like to go forced induction and price does not include car so I should of said atleast 16k I'm assuming 5k should get me a decent body and 11k should get me 500hp with all other needs suspension/tires/ etc.etc. to support that power is my calculations about right ?? If I go with the 331 blown like you suggested

I think your math is going to be a bit off.
Since it's your dream car, i'd put the first priority as buying the best condition notch possible. 5k, is not going to buy a perfect notch, at best you will have something mediocre.
I'd spend as much of that 16k you need to get a straight clean notch that does NOT need any body or interior work.
Performance parts are easy later on, body work is not.

Suspension, 5 lug brakes and wheels is going to add up to a few grand itself.

If it were me as a dream car, i'd buy the best condition notch, do the wheels, brakes suspension, and then probably heads/cam/intake on the stock shortblock.
Then add a supercharger later after i knew it was running good.

While foxes are easy and usually cheap to work on, they really have a rep for being budget friendly because you can spend money on them a little at a time.
You go balls to the wall right from the get go and it's really going to hit your wallet.

I think your math is going to be a bit off.
Since it's your dream car, i'd put the first priority as buying the best condition notch possible. 5k, is not going to buy a perfect notch, at best you will have something mediocre.
I'd spend as much of that 16k you need to get a straight clean notch that does NOT need any body or interior work.
Performance parts are easy later on, body work is not.

Suspension, 5 lug brakes and wheels is going to add up to a few grand itself.

If it were me as a dream car, i'd buy the best condition notch, do the wheels, brakes suspension, and then probably heads/cam/intake on the stock shortblock.
Then add a supercharger later after i knew it was running good.

While foxes are easy and usually cheap to work on, they really have a rep for being budget friendly because you can spend money on them a little at a time.
You go balls to the wall right from the get go and it's really going to hit your wallet.

I completely understand were you are coming from thanks for the input bro you hit that right on the nose because i was heading straight balls to the wall ..what's the average HP on a stock block with heads/cam/intake simple bolt ons??? And how many of you guys would buy a car already built motor ,blower etc etc?? I was short of leaning that way but 1.it wouldn't be my own creation which I can deal with depending on circumstances 2. I'm assuming if someone dumped major money into a project they are going to run it hard and that's what's making me want to build my own.

I wouldn't buy a modded one unless I was ready to rebuild the drivetrain from the get go... If it is modded, chances are it has been driven HARD! Like said above, I would look for an unmolested stock car and go from there.

If you wait, you can get a good deal... I bought my Fox with 105k miles, bone stock auto, with fresh paint and GT500 Replica's for $2500. Interior is extremely clean, and it runs great!

I completely understand were you are coming from thanks for the input bro you hit that right on the nose because i was heading straight balls to the wall ..what's the average HP on a stock block with heads/cam/intake simple bolt ons??? And how many of you guys would buy a car already built motor ,blower etc etc?? I was short of leaning that way but 1.it wouldn't be my own creation which I can deal with depending on circumstances 2. I'm assuming if someone dumped major money into a project they are going to run it hard and that's what's making me want to build my own.

I like the build up as stock of a car as you can find, they are hard to find now days.... then you know exactly what is done, and you can get the newer technology parts and thinking, and make it your own. A simple NA H/C/I car on a stock shortblock can be 300-340RWHP depending on combo.

Thanks much fellas. I'm going to start searching for a decent stock roller and rebuild the motor with a 331 kit and supercharger that should be in my price range an I should see the results I want with that set-up. Built not bought love that saying

Hey buddy, if I were in your position with $16k in cash, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a clean modded mustang, but I'd have to see the car myself to make sure it was taken care of, and the parts would have to be very close to something I'd build anyway. I'd be looking to pay $10-12k for a really well-built and taken care of car. Then I'd have $4-6k to use on incidentals and tweaking the combo to make it right.

Regardless of the level of modification, you should be looking for a sub 100k mile car with a super clean interior/exterior. Expect to pay 6-8 for a car with low mileage (40-60k) in very clean condition. I think $12k would get you the same car with a lot of modifications. If it's been done right, then you'll find a car whose owner put subframes connectors, and torque box reinforcements on it before hammering on the car.

500rwhp can be done numerous ways, but the theme that makes the most sense starting from scratch is a H/C/I 302 with boost. My preferences on a 302

Block and internals: stock 60k or less miles
Heads: AFR165s/185s, TFS TW heads (preferably CFC ported)
Intakes: RPM, RPMII, Systemax intake
Cam: Custom (Ed Curtis, Jay Allen, Turbo people, another reputible cam shop)
Boost: 60-70mm turbo. 12-15psi. Find someone with a good rep or an example you can see with your own eyes or go to HP, Hellion, B&G are all well respected places. My HP kit is gorgeous, but it was not worth the ridiculous wait of about 6 months, which they are known for.

Yeah they are gone, let a lot of customers in limbo as well. Truly it was only a matter of time, I had to threaten to fly out there with my customers lawyer to get parts.

Thanks much fellas. I'm going to start searching for a decent stock roller and rebuild the motor with a 331 kit and supercharger that should be in my price range an I should see the results I want with that set-up. Built not bought love that saying

Do as fast driver suggests and see if you can buy a complete project.
Just so you are aware a completely built 331 engine with all parts necessary to run is going to cost you a minimum of 5-6 grand, then 2-3 grand for the supercharger setup by the time you install a few add-ons to it.
Once you drive the car, you will likely blow the t5 transmission, and a tko500/600 is going to cost you 3g's by the time you have all the parts to install it.

At this point all your money is gone, your car handles/stops like a boat and when your rear lets go, you will only have single wheel traction, which i guess won't matter because with a stock suspension and 500hp won't spend much time going straight anyway.

Trust me, go into this project slow and steady starting off with a running above average condition car or you will have a pile of crap that looks great but can't be driven.

Do as fast driver suggests and see if you can buy a complete project.
Just so you are aware a completely built 331 engine with all parts necessary to run is going to cost you a minimum of 5-6 grand, then 2-3 grand for the supercharger setup by the time you install a few add-ons to it.
Once you drive the car, you will likely blow the t5 transmission, and a tko500/600 is going to cost you 3g's by the time you have all the parts to install it.

At this point all your money is gone, your car handles/stops like a boat and when your rear lets go, you will only have single wheel traction, which i guess won't matter because with a stock suspension and 500hp won't spend much time going straight anyway.

Trust me, go into this project slow and steady starting off with a running above average condition car or you will have a pile of crap that looks great but can't be driven.

Wow my calculations were way off ..what would you look for when buying a complete project?? I know the typical stuff to look/inspect for when buying a normal DD but have no knowledge on what to watch out for when buying a completely built muscle car.