Help! Can I find the Cert Code from the VIN?

Stang427W

Jan 5, 2008
I'm new here, and I've been looking around for a good fastback project car for a while and I found a decent 67 for a decent price. Before I buy it though I want to check everything out. So I asked the seller for the VIN and Cert Code. He gave me the vin and the car was originally a 6cyl and now has an 8. But he says the driver door has been replaced with one from a 68, so he can give me the cert code, but its from a different car.

How can I find the cert code? Or can it not be found?

-Marc

• Sponsors (?)

Maybe it's early and maybe it's the head cold, but I don't know what you mean by "cert code".

From the VIN you can learn year, assembly plant, body style, engine code, and consecutive unit number.

The VIN on the inner apron on the driver's side is the "official" VIN on a '67 Mustang.

The door tag also carries the VIN as well as codes for the body style, exterior color, interior color/configuration, build date, DSO (district sales office, or the region of the car's initial delivery), rear axle code, and transmission code.

Here's a good site to decode what you have:

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

Also, with the VIN you can find out everything about your '67+ Ford from Kevin Marti:

www.martiautoworks.com