Help.....car does the strangest thing when going over bumps...

Tinkerbell_too

Sep 7, 2006
Georgia
OK - hopefully I can explain what's going on. I'll do the best I can, but it's a hard one.

I have a 5 speed 03 GT 4.6L......when I go over bumps, the car acts really strange. When the car hits a bump while shifting from one gear to the next, instead of just shifting gears smoothly, it lurches in succession multiple times until I get on the gas and shift to the next gear. I bought the car used in 2005 with 17,000 miles.....it now has 92,000 miles on it. It's happened it since I first got it. The car is lowered with an Eibach sportline kit, but did it even before I lowered it.

I would really appreciate any suggestions you guys might have.....thanks.....

• Sponsors (?)

It has to do with the touchy throttle and your foot on the pedal. Try getting completly over the speed bump and then letting the clutch out. I do this same thing in mine more than I like to admit.

It's not when I go over speed bumps. It's more like when I'm driving 35-40 down a surface street and hit a random bump in the road or when I'm stopped at a light and go into first and hit a bump while shifting into 2nd. If it was something as simple as a speed bump, I could reproduce it for the dealership to diagnose. This is where my problem comes in. You just have to be in the right place at the right time, but when it does it, it's bad.

aftermarket shifter?

Is there a grinding or a forcefull movement in the shifter handle when this happens?

Can you feel it on the clutch pedal?

I've been driving sticks for 15 years. If you don't have something useful to post, it would be nice for you to keep your comments to yourself. I don't appreciate trolling or flame wars....been there, done that.

is the engine actually loosing power, or does it feel like its in the clutch? Cuz it sure sounds like your just bouncing off the springs in the clutch..

8879HD%5B1%5D.jpg

I know you've been driving stick for years but every clutch is different..

aftermarket shifter?

Is there a grinding or a forcefull movement in the shifter handle when this happens?

Can you feel it on the clutch pedal?

No, it's the stock shifter.

I wouldn't say that there's a grinding or forceful movement in the shifter when it happens.....there is something else that happens alot, not sure if it's related or not, but alot of times when I go into 2nd, it pops out right away.....

When I drive it to work tomorrow, I'll pay more attention and see if I can feel it on the pedal....

is the engine actually loosing power, or does it feel like its in the clutch? Cuz it sure sounds like your just bouncing off the springs in the clutch..

8879HD%5B1%5D.jpg

I know you've been driving stick for years but every clutch is different..

I don't really think the engine is losing power.....it's difficult to describe, it's kind of like the car is bouncing or jumping...almost like when the washing machine gets out of balance on the spin cycle...but not quite so violent...LOL

i've had this stuff happen before even if you're not going over a bump. say you let off the clutch and just use the gas, if you perhaps let off for a split second and then try to get back on the pedal and perhaps push it harder than before it does the little multiple jumps. not that this is the right thing, i just think it could be possible? i guess its from over compensating on the accelerator?:shrug:

I've been driving sticks for 15 years. If you don't have something useful to post, it would be nice for you to keep your comments to yourself. I don't appreciate trolling or flame wars....been there, done that.

Not trying to flame, I dont know you or what you owned before :shrug: Alot of people with little (even some with alot) stick experience have a harder time with a Mustang clutch.
Now after more info I see its not just speed bumps but bumps on driving. Sounds like the linkage needs to be adjusted. Does the clutch disengage early when pushing the pedal? If so the cable is too tight and the clutch is slightly disengaging when bumped. Do you have a firewall adjuster or quadrent?