Help! Car runs like crap after intake swap and fuel pump replace

Ken01GTvert

Aug 27, 2003
Colorado
This past week I did some work on my 2001 GT. I first replaced the intake manifold and then replaced the fuel pump and filter. After all was done and buttoned back up I started the car, and it started up ok but it ran like crap. With the hood open it sounds like a cross between a diesel engine and a steam engine. I pulled a couple of plugs and found that they were still wet with a little fuel. The exhaust smells really bad as well. The car runs really rough and acts like its only running on a few cylinders. Idle is irratic and I have to occassionally hit the gas to keep the engine going. Any ideas on what I can to check out to get things running smoothly again?

• Sponsors (?)

Happy New Years for you all in Central and Eastern time zones!!! In regards to my car, I checked and double checked everything. After the holiday I'll have to stop by AutoZone and pick up a fuel pressure and compression guages to check to see if I'm within specs. If that doesn't tell me anything I'll probably replace the CCRM as I might have shorted something out when I was checking it out for voltage (to determine my fuel pump was dead).

hotmustang331 said:
Im going to say you have a leak...are you SURE that the intake is sealed to the heads? If its leaking at all, it will screw everything up, and it just wont run right untill you fix it.

i have to agree with hotmustang331 check to see that the intake is sealing right but it sounds like you have a vacuum leak

Hey guys, thanks for the advice! You guys were right on track. I finally broke down and bought a fuel guage and compression guage. I ran the car (it was stumbling badly) and found that the fuel rail had 38lbs of pressure which is within specs for my 2001 GT. I ran compression test on all cylinders today and found that cylinder 1 has absolutely NO pressure. I then realize that I had used RTV gasket sealer (based on another post I read) around the gasket on that side to ensure that the coolant didn't leak. That was right in front of cylinder 1 and i remember i put a 1/4" bead on it. I'm going to break down the engine tonight, clean off the gasket, put everything back together and the check the compression again. Hopefully I'll be back in business after that.

FYI...I pulled the intake back off and found that the problem was that a sleeve from the old intake had fallen into one of the intake ports which jammed it wide open. I started another thread to figure out how to get it out of the port and what to do after that's done.