Help diagnosing this sound.

m0squ1t0

Feb 3, 2011
My 2002 GT is making a "popping " sound when I press on the gas pedal. The car is an automatic, with a cold air intake and Steeda under drive pullies . When the car is fixed the person who correctly diagnosed the car gets a gift via paypal.

• Sponsors (?)

Kinda hard to tell from the vid -- weird angle, one instance of the sound, no indication of driving condition etc -- so this is a WAG but it sounds like a rod bearing.

Can you pop the hood with the engine idling and work the throttle by hand a bit with the cam next the engine?

Any indication if it's coming from the top or bottom? Left or right? Engine or trans?

It really does sound like a rod though...

Reactions: 1 user
^I agree with him "that could be the problem most of the time", YET....a friend had something like this before and it could be the trans, since it happened when you step on the gas suddenly ... anyway, as he said, we will need to see a video with the hoop open . and also try to take the video while the car still cold, with some revs

I'm not sure what the noise is yet, but I will confidently say it is not a rod bearing. A rod bearing will tend to be the loudest and most noticible at 2-3k rpm at light loads (like slow cruising or reving) and when the engine is hot. The noise comes too suddenly, is too loud, and leaves to quickly to be a rod bearing. If the bearing was so bad it made a noise that loud, it would make some noise nearly all the time.

Sounds to me like something is loose and rattling around. Give the car a good inspection.

Take your coil packs off and check the seating and tightness of your plugs. Sound is very similar to a stripped plug hole, sometimes they can eject forcefully and come straight out or they can strip the plug hole and end up rattling around in there under acceleration.