HELP!! Does anyone know????

silver85stang

Jul 19, 2004
I hope someone can help me out. I own an 1985 mustang and an 1986 mustang. The 85 had a 5.0 throttled bodied engine in it. The 1986 had a 1987 5.0 with a cobra upper and lower intake on it. I had my machanic take the 87 motor out of the 86 body and put it in my 85 stang. Now he can't get it to run. It does get fire but will not stay started. He used the 87's computer and fuel lines with the 87 motor. And it will get fire because they shot ether in it and it wants to start but it will not stay running. He has about 9 wires on the 85's wiring harness that he has no idea where they go. He got wiring diagrams on the 85 and 87 motors but they don't show him the wires he needs to see. He has had my car for 2 months now and I am getting sick and tired of waiting on it. So I am trying to do research on it to help him figure it out. Please I hope someone out there can help me! :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

fuel pump off of the 87 motor

proxses said:
Sounds like low fuel pressure.
Could be the fuel pump.
What pump is in the 85 right now? You may want to upgrade.
If the pump is ok, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

Well I am not quite sure but I will find out - I know that it is the pump and fuel lines off of the 87 motor. And we know it is working you can hear it when you turn it on. They wired it up separate to my glove box.

Where do I ge a really good electrical diagram that shows ALL the wires? The one he has doesn't show all the wires.

trying to stay with the intake

I am trying to stay with the upper and lower cobra intake. We are getting fuel pressure. Coil is ok. But we are not getting any spark, no ignition pulse, no voltage at the injector wire. We are ordering a wiring diagram for the two years and hopefully it will tell us what we are looking at. So frustrating!!!

I appreciate any help though. If you have done this kind of conversion before let me know please. I am up to any suggestions.

Thanks