Help identify these heads please!

People spending extra money on a custom cam want the best use of power and driveability for their parts combination.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

@EDC has ground up quite a few cams for members here. He is a busy man and may jump in eventually.
The decision to go custom or off the shelf cam is a personal one, that said a b cam is like swapping on a carburetor for efi, it will work but not as effectively.

Reactions: 1 user
The B303 would probably hurt your street manners. Those are actually just as lumpy as a cam making more power. I know everyone preaches about a Custom cam, but the Custom Grinders will most likely go for max performance with less street manners. Most of the people here are fuel injection guys too. You can smooth out a lot of lumpiness with fuel injection. I'd go for a medium size Comp Cam before I went with a B303.

Those are great heads. You will have no problem reaching your goads with them. They also give you options. Like I said, they are classic hot rod head that has been out of production for a long time. I have not had much luck selling car parts, but it is not inconceivable that you could get enough money selling those to cover the cost of a set of aluminum heads that you want. If they were my heads, and I couldn't sell them for what I wanted to get out of them, I would be totally cool running them.

Kurt
Well I’m not 100% committed on what cam I’m gonna use just yet. I like the B303 because it’s tried and true and in my opinion sounds much better than the E303. I’ve also considered the F303 because research shows that the work great with boost and I’m toying with the idea of running the ON3 turbo setup at some point. To be honest I prefer naturally aspirated. Supposedly my car already has a Comp Cams xe266hr, but after chasing down the bugs that the previous owner left me, I’m starting to doubt it. I’m a sucker for a lopey sounding cam, but I definitely want it to perform at its best for what my needs are. Basically this car will be daily driven with the occasional trip to the track. Also a lot of mountain driving.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!!! Please keep it coming!

If that's what you are after, you definitely do not want an alphabet camshaft. The F cam was the last attempt at an even mildly modern camsahft (as in, not a single grind). Those things are dinosaurs. None of them will reach the power potential of those heads. There are so many great cams available. We have a .550" lift cam in the Cobra, and it idles like a stock car, and makes great power to the wheels. When it comes to the cam, leave StangNet behind (you get what you pay for with free advice), call around, and figure out what is best for you. The cost of a good camshaft is nothing in the long run.

Kurt

If that's what you are after, you definitely do not want an alphabet camshaft. The F cam was the last attempt at an even mildly modern camsahft (as in, not a single grind). Those things are dinosaurs. None of them will reach the power potential of those heads. There are so many great cams available. We have a .550" lift cam in the Cobra, and it idles like a stock car, and makes great power to the wheels. When it comes to the cam, leave StangNet behind (you get what you pay for with free advice), call around, and figure out what is best for you. The cost of a good camshaft is nothing in the long run.

Kurt
Thanks! I’m not in a hurry and I will definitely do my homework. The cars runs great as it is for now. Just wanted to utilize these heads that I basically got for free.

Those are older iron High Ports. Heavy as all hell so I hope you take that into consideration if you plan on installing them on a basically stock engine. They also require special headers due to the much higher exhaust port locations. Another consideration.

In terms of a camshaft, if you're planning an alphabet grind, might be best to sell those heads to someone who can use them to their full potential. An antique Ford grind is nothing close to what those heads require to perform properly, whether street or track usage.

They can make for a great dual purpose head ... but ... I just sold a "bare" virgin set to a guy in Kentucky for a truck pull project that the rules required iron heads. Got a good price for them. Enough where you could put a huge dent towards the purchase a brand new set of TFS 11R aluminum heads... which sounds like a much better fit your goals.

Then again... WTF do I know....

:shrug:

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users
Those are older iron High Ports. Heavy as all hell so I hope you take that into consideration if you plan on installing them on a basically stock engine. They also require special headers due to the much higher exhaust port locations. Another consideration.

In terms of a camshaft, if you're planning an alphabet grind, might be best to sell those heads to someone who can use them to their full potential. An antique Ford grind is nothing close to what those heads require to perform properly, whether street or track usage.

They can make for a great dual purpose head ... but ... I just sold a "bare" virgin set to a guy in Kentucky for a truck pull project that the rules required iron heads. Got a good price for them. Enough where you could put a huge dent towards the purchase a brand new set of TFS 11R aluminum heads... which sounds like a much better fit your goals.

Then again... WTF do I know....

:shrug:
Thank you!! I definitely would have been hosed not knowing about the header fitment. I’m not 100% sold on an alphabet cam. Most likely I’ll go with a comp cams xe grind. Heavy is right!!! They weigh considerably more than my FE heads!! So in your opinion, what would be a reasonable asking price for them?

Ed's advice is about the best you'll ever get....but if doesn't seem like you get it. The heads, cam, and intake all need to be able to flow together. That head is for a more aggressive set up than what you seem to want. He's telling you that those heads will bring enough money to help you get a set of heads that will help you get where you want. The price of the headers for that head are way more than a normal set. If you use an off the shelf camshaft then you need to make your engine a carbon copy of what has proven to work with that camshaft. I custom camshaft by EDC is about the best you'll get and it isn't that much more than an off the shelf. The difference is that the camshaft will be tailored to what you want. Theres a lot that goes into a camshaft and heads. Generally, the bigger valves and head ports don't have as much velosity and that can hurt a street cars power. Big heads are usually better suited for higher rpms. More rpms than you'll typically see on the street.

• Useful
Ed's advice is about the best you'll ever get....but if doesn't seem like you get it. The heads, cam, and intake all need to be able to flow together. That head is for a more aggressive set up than what you seem to want. He's telling you that those heads will bring enough money to help you get a set of heads that will help you get where you want. The price of the headers for that head are way more than a normal set. If you use an off the shelf camshaft then you need to make your engine a carbon copy of what has proven to work with that camshaft. I custom camshaft by EDC is about the best you'll get and it isn't that much more than an off the shelf. The difference is that the camshaft will be tailored to what you want. Theres a lot that goes into a camshaft and heads. Generally, the bigger valves and head ports don't have as much velosity and that can hurt a street cars power. Big heads are usually better suited for higher rpms. More rpms than you'll typically see on the street.
I agree 100% knowing now what these heads are, I can move forward with the direction I need for my daily use. If I can use what I already have as far as the intake and small cam that’s already in it, then I will. Supposedly it already has GT40 heads, but I haven’t confirmed that yet. And given the muddy information that I have I’m not even sure it really has a “stage 2” comp cam in it or what. To be on the safe side I’ll probably get a different cam and heads to accommodate the trick flow intake it already has. That way I know for sure what I have.

Reactions: 1 users