help.......keep blowing fuses

armin92284

Apr 26, 2004
I have an 89 mustang gt and for some reason the fuse for the warning indicator lights/tach and etc. keeps blowing. I dont know what the cause of this is. Could someone help me out please.... THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

2000xp8 said:
Find out what else is on that circuit and disconnect them one by one until the fuse doesn't blow.

Follow this man's good advice. :nice:

Look very closely at add on items like alarm systems, aftermarket radio & stereo, and instruments.

I have an aftermarket fan that came with the car. It has a toggle switch that turns it on and off and i looked at the label that shows what fuse is connected to what, and it might hvae to do with the fan. Ive been having problems with the fan not coming on and i just pretty much re-did the wiring cuz it looked kinda ******* up when i looked at it. Could that be the problem? I have an 89 mustang gt and the fuse that keeps blowing is the # 18 fuse.

ah well, does the fuse only blow when the fan is activated? (this goes to 2000's advice above).
how is the fan wired up? any relays used? manual switch only or a temp controller too? if the circuit is only powering a relay, the draw should be minimal, barring a short, etc. i dont see how fuse 18 could be used to power a fan, so i think that is out...? (it could be used, but it would be very dumb).

you could always switch the wire that is in that circuit to another circuit (for testing, etc). if you blow a new fuse, that is your problem.......(i would not do this, but i toss it out anyhow)

but if there is no relay (i.e. a wire comes from the fuse box to a switch. then goes out of the switch to the pos. fan wire), that would probably be a 'ding ding ding' we have a winner. use relay(s) with your manual switch at a minimum.

good luck.

armin92284 said:
ok, i calls for a 15 amp fuse, and some one told me to put a 30 in there. I did and it doesnt blow.Could that just be the solution?

Yeah, that's the solution if you want to melt the stock wiring, don't get me wrong i've done this to get me by until i find the real problem, but the 30 will take double the power the 15 does and the wire is probably rated for 15 meaning if it overloads and the fuse doesn't blow the wire will melt.
I speak from experience.

damn, well i think it has to do with the fan thats wired to it. When the fuse doesnt blow (30 amp) when i start the car, the fan turns on (i can turn it on/off with the switch). But if i use the 15 amp fuse, and i start the car, it blows?

ight, thanks........this sucks cuz the car came with the electric fan and god knows how the guy that had it before me hooked it up right. Its been working for the past 3 months but all of a sudden it just quit. Ill have to keep flicking the switch like 10X before it works.

2000 is right on - fans at start up draw a lot of juice. get a SPDT relay from the parts store and wire it in. it is very simple. if you search for a thread called something like: the ultimate taurus fan install - it has a nice diagram. the instructions with the relay should be enough too. it takes about 5 mins to install (or an hour if it is your first relay install). it will save your switches too.
good luck.

ok, so what type of relay should i ask for? Also, could i buy it from Advanced Auto Parts? Where could i find this? Or how about napa auto parts? Someone let me know so i can look for one soon. Im tired of letting my stang sit in the garage in this nice ass weather!!!! THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!