Help me identify this "mystery" cam in this new motor

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
So I pulled apart the rebuilt motor that came in a mustang I bought. The thing as never turned, but I wanted to double check to make sure everything was done right(actually I probably pulled it just cause I wanted to know what cam it had :D) . I pulled it and don't really have any idea what this stupid thing is. The only numbers I can find are "211187" stamped on the rear of the cam and there are some numbers cast into the shaft that I tried to take pics of. Anybody have any ideas?

DSCN7904.JPG

DSCN7906.JPG

DSCN7907.JPG

DSCN7908.JPG

DSCN7912.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

That's my problem, too. The 289 4V in my 67 has an aftermarket cam that my father-in-law put in it a few years back when he did the rebuild. Problem is it was just called a 3-quarter race cam and we have NO specs for it. It is a Crane Cams brand. It's supposed to be a fairly hot cam for what that's worth, lol. I need to get it running so I can hear how it lopes. :D It's new and never has been run yet.

i called crane and its not theirs, im probably not going to run the cam, but it would be nice to know what it is incase i want to use it for something else.

I used dialcalipers and got the lift #. It's ~.510 with 1.6 rockers

you may be way off on that .510 by using dial calipers.

If you want to get it exact , you need a pair of V-blocks and a dial indicator

But I agree, since you already have it out, order a cam that best suits your needs.
Just Make sure you break it in properly on initial fire up.

couldnt one throw it back in the block and use a degree wheel and dial indicator to determin the duration and lobe separation? i have never done it... i always read the cam card and take their word for it :D but in this instance it will give ya something to do while waiting for the ups man to bring your new cam.

yeah, you can actually measure all the valve timing events with the cam in the block, a dial indicator, and a degree wheel.

hardest part is making sure you're perfectly perpendicular to the lifter and that your dial indicator mount doesn't move as the cam does.

just takes some time to setup.