Help me pick a decent alarm w/ keyless and remote start

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I want to put remote start/keyless on my 94 Grand Cherokee (I know it's not a stang, but I don't think it matters in this context) and figured I might as well get a security system as well if it's gonna be started w/o me inside. I would prefer to install it myself. I really didn't want to spend more than $100-150 on one because I don't care about top notch security, just a good remote start w/ keyless and a security system that will go off if someone tries to steal the Jeep w/ it running. I'd prefer to get a long distance transmitter. I've searched and read a lot of posts and many have a lot of diferent opinions...Viper, Clifford, Crimestopper, etc.

What about this one on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7925938488&category=33721

it's supposed to work 2000 feet away which is awesome. I don't care so much about the LCD stuff, but whatever.

Are these things really hard to install? I think I can do it, but it may take a weekend. I have a complete printoff of a post from a guy on www.the12volt.com installing an ungo alarm on his 94 grand cherokee, so I think that will be a lot of help.

Any opinions appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

ive done a few - not bad. the last one i did is a two way with LCD (G/F's camaro). i kinda dig it (i ended up adding a piggyback set up to the one in the stang so i would know when it was set off. i would rather have done it with one set up if they had been around cheap back then). ask me why i did keyless entry in a vert. :shrug:

but if you dont want it, dont get it (transmitter is bulky).

as for brand and all, it will depend on what other features you want (number of programmable options, etc).

i tend to try to use better known stuff myself (i find one with good features and then search the alarm forums for reviews and likes/dislikes on that model). most of the upper end DEI products are quite nice.

my two cents of ramblings. good luck bud. :)

Has anyone used the Mannix one from ebay in the link I provided? I could always use the other remote if the LCD is too bulky. I like it mainly because of the 2000 ft FM-FM range. I probably don't need one that goes that far, but I guess it'll never hurt.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks HISSIN...lol you reply to more of my posts than anyone I think :nice:
Did you use a solder iron to solder the wires in?

ttt--whatever that means, I know it means "bump." I wanna give this thing one last chance and I won't bump it up anymore. Anyone have any experience w/ the Mannix alarm I provided the link to or any advise about alrarms regarding any of my above posts?