Help, My 5.0 acts like it's Carbed

For some odd reason, when I crank my 92 GT up on a cold start it acts like a Holley in the winter and wants to stall out and die. I've got to keep it revved up until the engine warms up to regular temp then it'll run smooth. I was thinking maybe TPS? but if anyone else has had issues like this please I'm open for suggestions, since the Ranger isn't as fun or noisy to drive as the GT is. BTW, bone stock motor with 181K on the clock.

Thanks for any help guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Probably the IAC not working, it's suppesed to keep the revs up for a little while when the car first starts up cold to keep it from stalling out. Mine acts the same way because I had to unplug the IAC motor.

what exactly is the IAC, i don't have my chiltons handy at the moment to see where/what it is. And how much trouble would it be to replace it? Will it throw a code if I plug a tester in? No check engine light right now since the bulb was removed by previous owner after installing a No-Cat H-Pipe.

It could be the ect.Run a code scanner the check engine light doesn't always come on for certain sensors.I had bad sensors with no check engine light.Always fix the codes in order.

HEY, what's wrong with a carb? :D just messin with ya, although.....

I have never had a problem with my Holley, even when it was around 10 above this last winter. 1 half pump to the floor and it would fire within 2 revolutions of the motor, and run at a nice brisk pace untill she was warm.

Stang2Man said:
what exactly is the IAC, i don't have my chiltons handy at the moment to see where/what it is. And how much trouble would it be to replace it? Will it throw a code if I plug a tester in? No check engine light right now since the bulb was removed by previous owner after installing a No-Cat H-Pipe.

The IAC is the cylinder that hangs off of your TB. It allows air into the motor while its cold, preventing it from stalling out.. try cleaning it with carb cleaner first, you can reuse the old gasket. If that doesnt help, try replacing it.

Yeah sorry about the lack of info :rolleyes:, it stands for Idle Air Control. It's about 5 inches long, half aluminum and half black plastic with a two-wire plug attached to it and is fastened with two hex-screws to the throttle body.