Help! Mystery oil leak

Dakota82

Apr 6, 2020
North Carolina
First off I have looked through a lot of post about oil leaks that are similar to mine yet not the same, the oil is coming from somewhere under the valve covers but not leaking from the valve covers. Also not in one spot seems to be on the passenger side front and rear and driver side rear of the motor. I also think that I have excessive crank pressure but not sure if it’s connected to the leaks.

No smoke out the exhaust
No coolant loss however I have started to notice trashy looking pieces in it
No oil around rear main seal

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• Sponsors(?)

KRUISR

5 Year Member
Apr 16, 2015
So where is the leak? I was not able to interpret where it is from your post. Pictures help.

74stang2togo

I need something stupid to play with
Mod Dude
Mar 7, 2002
First off I have looked through a lot of post about oil leaks that are similar to mine yet not the same, the oil is coming from somewhere under the valve covers but not leaking from the valve covers. Also not in one spot seems to be on the passenger side front and rear and driver side rear of the motor. I also think that I have excessive crank pressure but not sure if it’s connected to the leaks.

No smoke out the exhaust
No coolant loss however I have started to notice trashy looking pieces in it
No oil around rear main seal

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
If I'm seeing what I believe I'm seeing, you probably do have excess crankcase pressure. It looks like you've got two PCVs and no breather, which will cause that. I'd ditch the driver's side PCV and put a breather there, and cap off the vacuum port on the carburetor. As far as the source of your oil leak, it is possible for a 302 to push oil past the end seals on the intake manifold when the crankcase pressure gets too high (especially if still running the cork pieces and not the rubber and/or RTV). I'd take a look there.

If you can't find for sure where it's coming from, get a bottle of this:

and pour it into your oil, then run the engine, looking for the UV dye with a blacklight, something small and cheap like this will work:
View: https://www.amazon.com/Blacklight-Flashlight-Castnoo-Flashlight-Zoomable-Inspection/dp/B07Y2SR8TV/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=uv+pen+light&qid=1586223544&sr=8-13

or you can sometimes find the pen light in a kit with yellow glasses (look near the A/C stuff) that makes it even easier to see the dye at parts stores.

Reactions: Ranger and Dakota82

KRUISR

5 Year Member
Apr 16, 2015
Without a picture showing the oil path and based on your description I would think the intake manifold is not sealing well. Basically the front and rear seals. Intake to head is probably okay (that's why you are not seeing any burning oil or oil/water).

Look for the paths and if no conclusions, I would remove and reinstall the intake.

Let us know.

Reactions: Dakota82

Dakota82

Apr 6, 2020
North Carolina
Without a picture showing the oil path and based on your description I would think the intake manifold is not sealing well. Basically the front and rear seals. Intake to head is probably okay (that's why you are not seeing any burning oil or oil/water).

Look for the paths and if no conclusions, I would remove and reinstall the intake.

Let us know.
There is oil burning from it dripping on the manifold but that’s the thing I have no clue were the oil is coming from all I noticed is wet looking spots on the manifold and after it warms up smokes like crazy

Dakota82

Apr 6, 2020
North Carolina

Let us know.
I was told by some family members that I could of warped the heads but I haven’t ran the car hard

KRUISR

5 Year Member
Apr 16, 2015
I would think if you had warped heads you would have coolant in the oil and/or burning coolant out the tailpipe.

By no burning oil I meant out the tailpipe, sorry I wasn't clear.

To trace down where oil is coming from starts with where is it on the manifold or exhaust piping. So take a picture of the exhaust manifold and mark the pic where it is dripping on and burning off (or show the staining caused by it).

Dakota82

Apr 6, 2020
North Carolina
I would think if you had warped heads you would have coolant in the oil and/or burning coolant out the tailpipe.

To trace down where oil is coming from starts with where is it on the manifold or exhaust piping. So take a picture of the exhaust manifold and mark the pic where it is dripping on and burning off (or show the staining caused by it).

These are 3 pictures that show where the oil is burning at, I don’t know where it’s coming from to get there though. I have jacked it up and looked under still don’t know where it’s coming from

Attachments

Neuron

Mustang Master
Nov 6, 2016
Aftermarket covers, I would check the sealing surfaces for flatness too. Don't overtighten them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Help! First Foxbody, Having Mystery Oil Leak Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 10
fivespeedsteed engine flush, marvel's mystery oil help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 17
J Mystery Oil Leak....help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 14
Z mysterious oil leak. PLEASE HELP Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
Anti_Hero0932 Electrical Mystery connector please help! Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 3
voodoo18 1992 LX 5.0 mystery. use to run now doesn't. HELP Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 43
T Help me solve a mystery 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 9
D Please help - mystery rubbing sound (it's not a wheel bearing assembly) 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
no_fox_given 1994 5.0 mystery wiring connector 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 3
J Help Identifying Mystery Wire 2015+ (S550) Mustang -General/Talk 2
C Engine Control Module Ecm (limp Mode) Mystery Help 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- 2
5.0L Miata Belt Squeal Mystery - Need Help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 8
kwstang mystery 302 block?? help 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
1 Electrical Need help please! No spark, Fuel pump not priming, and a mystery wire. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 36
R Help with a mystery wire 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 4
cardude Help needed with Mystery problem Classic Mustang Specific Tech 5
T Mystery 03 Cobra Terminator tuned by Horsepower by Hermann - help needed. SVT Tech Forum 4
S Need HELP! Have a mystery part from my 66 Classic Mustang Specific Tech 9
fivespeedsteed front end help thread, mystery knocking, some body issues Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 0
Winfaulker Brake Light Mystery... puzzler Please Help 2.3L (N/A & Turbo) Tech 2
Winfaulker True brake light mystery...a puzzle for everyone..Please help me Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 19
281CI96Coupe Help me figure out a mystery! 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- 1
F Mystery MAF, can you help identify? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
L Looking for help on mysterious fuel interruption Classic Mustang Specific Tech 6
droptopford 5 0 The mysterious buried clutch pedal saga... urgent, plz help 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 8
C help identifying mysterious black box Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 13
B alright...either im an idiot or the car is possesed. help me solve my tach mystery Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 11
back2fox Mystery Vibration..Help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 7
N please help me figure out my mystery problem, vid inside. 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech 16
D bent pushrods to hell!! help!!!! mystery engine 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 8
DarkoStoj Help me identify this "mystery" cam in this new motor Classic Mustang Specific Tech 13
Pbum5 Mystery Transmission Part? What to do with the wires? Help. Classic Mustang Specific Tech 4
thehueypilot Mysterious pressure drop………Help needed! Classic Mustang Specific Tech 12
Silly34 Need help with mystery problem on 98GT.. SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 11
H Help! Mystery problems Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
H Little mystery for me mayeb someone can help Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
9 Help with tuning... Digital Self-tuning Forum 1
O Electrical Help identifying wires. Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 6
P Help with overheating 4.6 4v!! SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
P Help please!!! Coolant crossover 4.6 4v SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 1
J Please help!!! 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 4
J Audio Help! 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech 3
S Account details help The Welcome Wagon 0
D Suspension Griggs rear set up on my 1991 GT, need help with set-up Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 1
V 96 gt radiator hose help SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech 2
M 302 alternator help is it 1g or 3g? Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 5
B 88 Mustang 5.0 Help! I’m losing my mind Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 4
S Electrical HELP !! Driving and just quit... Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech 22
mustangpauly 351w swap need help will not idle Digital Self-tuning Forum 8
T Need help identifying casting numbers 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- 7