Help! Mystery oil leak

First off I have looked through a lot of post about oil leaks that are similar to mine yet not the same, the oil is coming from somewhere under the valve covers but not leaking from the valve covers. Also not in one spot seems to be on the passenger side front and rear and driver side rear of the motor. I also think that I have excessive crank pressure but not sure if it’s connected to the leaks.

No smoke out the exhaust
No coolant loss however I have started to notice trashy looking pieces in it
No oil around rear main seal

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• E9425666-4535-40B7-AAB3-E64FF247B7A9.jpeg
    E9425666-4535-40B7-AAB3-E64FF247B7A9.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Sponsors (?)

First off I have looked through a lot of post about oil leaks that are similar to mine yet not the same, the oil is coming from somewhere under the valve covers but not leaking from the valve covers. Also not in one spot seems to be on the passenger side front and rear and driver side rear of the motor. I also think that I have excessive crank pressure but not sure if it’s connected to the leaks.

No smoke out the exhaust
No coolant loss however I have started to notice trashy looking pieces in it
No oil around rear main seal

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
If I'm seeing what I believe I'm seeing, you probably do have excess crankcase pressure. It looks like you've got two PCVs and no breather, which will cause that. I'd ditch the driver's side PCV and put a breather there, and cap off the vacuum port on the carburetor. As far as the source of your oil leak, it is possible for a 302 to push oil past the end seals on the intake manifold when the crankcase pressure gets too high (especially if still running the cork pieces and not the rubber and/or RTV). I'd take a look there.

If you can't find for sure where it's coming from, get a bottle of this:

and pour it into your oil, then run the engine, looking for the UV dye with a blacklight, something small and cheap like this will work:
Amazon product ASIN B07Y2SR8TVView: https://www.amazon.com/Blacklight-Flashlight-Castnoo-Flashlight-Zoomable-Inspection/dp/B07Y2SR8TV/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=uv+pen+light&qid=1586223544&sr=8-13

or you can sometimes find the pen light in a kit with yellow glasses (look near the A/C stuff) that makes it even easier to see the dye at parts stores.

Reactions: 1 users
Without a picture showing the oil path and based on your description I would think the intake manifold is not sealing well. Basically the front and rear seals. Intake to head is probably okay (that's why you are not seeing any burning oil or oil/water).

Look for the paths and if no conclusions, I would remove and reinstall the intake.

Let us know.

Reactions: 1 user
Without a picture showing the oil path and based on your description I would think the intake manifold is not sealing well. Basically the front and rear seals. Intake to head is probably okay (that's why you are not seeing any burning oil or oil/water).

Look for the paths and if no conclusions, I would remove and reinstall the intake.

Let us know.
There is oil burning from it dripping on the manifold but that’s the thing I have no clue were the oil is coming from all I noticed is wet looking spots on the manifold and after it warms up smokes like crazy

Let us know.
I was told by some family members that I could of warped the heads but I haven’t ran the car hard

I would think if you had warped heads you would have coolant in the oil and/or burning coolant out the tailpipe.

By no burning oil I meant out the tailpipe, sorry I wasn't clear.

To trace down where oil is coming from starts with where is it on the manifold or exhaust piping. So take a picture of the exhaust manifold and mark the pic where it is dripping on and burning off (or show the staining caused by it).

I would think if you had warped heads you would have coolant in the oil and/or burning coolant out the tailpipe.

To trace down where oil is coming from starts with where is it on the manifold or exhaust piping. So take a picture of the exhaust manifold and mark the pic where it is dripping on and burning off (or show the staining caused by it).

These are 3 pictures that show where the oil is burning at, I don’t know where it’s coming from to get there though. I have jacked it up and looked under still don’t know where it’s coming from

Attachments

• ED24D91F-4569-4972-9B32-D736FDAF1AA4.jpeg
    ED24D91F-4569-4972-9B32-D736FDAF1AA4.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 85
  • D5378A1A-B925-4284-8DAA-F8C8CBC71914.jpeg
    D5378A1A-B925-4284-8DAA-F8C8CBC71914.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 93
  • 68F87406-8853-400E-B55F-60230FF6C4DC.jpeg
    68F87406-8853-400E-B55F-60230FF6C4DC.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 77