Suspension HELP!!! Need help choosing gift for friends car.

• Thread starter Deleted member 64287
  • Start date
  • Sponsors (?)

i think he wants a little more thoughtful gift than that, anyone can buy a gift certificate

brakes are one of the weakest traits of 5.0 mustangs, im not too informed on the best brands or anything so i cant help you there, id go with the slicks, that would definitely improve his times and i bet hed be mighty grateful (i know id be for a set of all new tires, radials or slicks)

Simply replacing pads/shoes won't do a whole lot to significantly improve braking performance on the vehicle. And I think I'd upgrade the brakes before I got him the slicks - as he'll need better brakes if he puts the slicks on. :)

The challenge is that doing a thorough and safe aftermarket upgrade on the brakes requires either a good bit of cash (WAY more expensive than slicks I think), or a real detailed knowledge of how to mix and match the stock components. You really need to know what you're doing/buying if you're gonna help him upgrade his brakes. If that's what you zero in on, I'd do another post that's titled something like "Help me pick my brake upgrade components" -- see if you can folks who've done it to there's to help you pick the pieces. I believe that there are ways to mix and match later model Mustang and Cobra braking components to help the Fox body cars out. But if you start installing larger rotors and calipers, there are almost always master cylinder and brake proportioning valve changes that have to be made as well - it gets complex.

Well if the brakes are in poor condition then take him in for a free brake service.

90% of the people "upgrading" their brakes, are doing so because they have failed to maintain their stock brakes to begin with. :p And really, look into a set of improved brake linings, they DO make a difference in delivering stopping power more directly proportional to pedal pressure, not fading under extreme conditions, increased lifespan, etc.

you did not mension that he had subframe connectors or not. get some of those for 100 bucks. i forget what they are called. it connects the front shock towers and the firewall together for less boddy flex. they also make one for the rear shock towers. i am going to make those myself.